Relocating from Boston to Carolinas.. PACU/NICU RNRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Relocating from Boston to Carolinas.. PACU/NICU RN in North Carolina Nursing, part of United States Nursing ... Hi Everyone, I currently live outside of Boston, work as a RN in PACU and NICU II RN perdiem......by klh39v Aug 4, '12Hi Everyone,
I currently live outside of Boston, work as a RN in PACU and NICU II RN perdiem... hate the hustle and bustle around here.. the traffic jams, tons of rude people...
My husband and I live in a 650 apartment for 1200... condo.. poor insulation, can hear our neighbors doing just about everything....
Hubby is a mental health technician trying to go back to school for RN or NP...
We are really thinking about relocating to the Carolinas... I have started looking on the citydata website and started a thread there...
Does anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks so much for the input
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=767061©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 812 Views
- Aug 6, '12 by Silverdragon102Where abouts are you looking? We have a North and South Carolina state forum under the US tab above
- Aug 6, '12 by klh39vHi there,
I will look for the US tab you are talking about... We are not sure where we are looking.. we wanted some suggestions and also wanted to know how the salaries are? We have read that Charlotte is very busy and more like Boston...I have heard that the Raliegh area is ok if you live in a place like Cary..
We do not have any kids and I am 44. My husband wants to go back to school for RN/NP.
How do I get into the US tab for the NC/SC forums?
- Aug 6, '12 by Silverdragon102If you look near the top of the page you will see the US tab along with several others for other sections like world, student etc
- Aug 6, '12 by klh39vfound it..Thank you!!
- Aug 6, '12 by TheCommuterYour post has been moved to the North Carolina Nursing forum for more local feedback. Good luck to you!
- Aug 6, '12 by DesireeRN2011I live in Durham/Chapel Hill (where I rent is a Durham address but much closer to Chapel Hill than to downtown Durham). It's very nice and I don't think it's too bad here. I grew up in Columbus OH and lived in Ashland KY (very rural) for a year.
I love Charlotte. My parents live in Ft Mill SC (about 20-25 minutes from the main part of Charlotte). Ft Mill is a nice city with a small town feeling but it's very close to both Charlotte NC and to Rock Hill SC. I'm sure that the main city part is very busy but all the suburbs are nice and the freeways provide great access to hospitals and other attractions. Commuter rail is also a surprisingly popular option in Charlotte. Charlotte is very expensive compared to some of the suburbs but anything in Mecklenburg County is expensive the tax rates are higher - this is why so many live in SC and commute to Charlotte.
I don't know if it's an issue to you - in the spirit of being an informed consumer...considering the potential for mandatory evacuation. There are two nuclear power plants in the Charlotte area McGuire Nuclear Station (2 units) on Lake Norman in Mecklenburg County, NC and Catawba Nuclear Station (also 2 units) on Lake Wylie in York County, SC. There's also an auxiliary coal/steam power plant at Lake Wylie that is only operational in peak use months. But there is also a nuclear plant near Raleigh/Durham - Shearon Harris has one operational unit and is located in New Hill, NC. Shearon Harris is possibly going to expand and build more units but at this point the NRC has not given approval. Just something to consider - my parents live within 20 miles of Catawba so they could be forced to evacuate if something were to happen.
- Aug 26, '12 by olliesmommy1005I'm a relocated New Englander down in NC! We moved from southern NH to the wilmington area 3 years ago. Love the weather but it is an adjustment for sure! I actually went through nursing school down here and I'm currently working med surg after graduating in may.
Housing is less expensive and no to minimal heat bills! Feel free to send me a message if you need any pointers on making the move!