New grad RN relocating to NC
- 0Sep 21, '11 by Nurseynurse2011Hello fellow nurses,
I graduated with my BSN in 2009 and I am an RN, looking to relocate to North Carolina. I would like to move to Raleigh but I'm sure the job market is competitive because its a major city. How is the job market for new grads in the areas around Raleigh (up to 2 hours away)?
- 3,437 Visits
- 0Sep 25, '11 by Ready2HelpHave you not had any experience since you graduated in 2009?
I graduated in March of this year and moved to NC from AZ. It's been 6 months right now of looking, a few interviews and still nothing. The major hospitals offer New Grad positions every now and then, but the fact that they also have their own nursing programs...and the students doing clinicals there making the connections...I'm finding that it's hard getting in. Of course it doesn't mean it can't happen, but you really have to stick out during the interview.
Have two more interviews this week...hopefully one will come through for me! Good luck to you.
- 0Sep 25, '11 by Nurseynurse2011No, unfortunately I don't have any experience working as an RN. The job market is tough out here in CA. I've called a bunch of hospitals that were about an hour away from Raleigh and they said they were hiring new grads, not through an actual new grad program though. I haven't started actively applying because I'm still waiting for my temporary NC license #.
Good luck on ur interviews! May I ask which hospitals you are interviewing for?
Thanks for the reply
- 0Sep 26, '11 by Ready2HelpThank you! I just interviewed at Johnston Health in Smithfield this morning. It was a different interview. The manager didn't ask any questions but instead put me in the breakroom with two other nurses who answered any questions I had. Not used to that kind of interview for sure.
I have another interview at UNC (Chapel Hill) on Thursday. I've interviewed for three other positions there but they hired someone "who already had experience" in that area. Fortunately the nurse recruiter liked me cause she keeps getting me more interviews. I'm really hoping that this one will be the one that finally works out.
Good luck to you! I hope it doesn't take long to find something. I recently put in 'new grad RN' in NC on Indeed.com and have begun to look farther out. I know they have some new grad positions at Pitt County Hospital which is about 1 1/2 hours from me I think. At this point I'll do anything for a year's experience.
- 0Sep 26, '11 by Nurseynurse2011What a coincidence, I just finished filling out some online applications for Johnston Medical center. I really hope I get an interview. Im hoping to move to Raleigh but if I can't get a job within 45 min. of the area I'll have to look at the surrounding cities
Good luck to you! I hope we get jobs soon! Let me know how the job hunt goes
- 1Oct 1, '11 by Ready2HelpThey told me they were making the decision early this next week for the position I was interviewing for.
I actually had an interview on Thursday at UNC for the NICU and was offered a position before I left. I start orientation on the 17th and am super excited!
- 0Oct 1, '11 by OK NurseQuote from Ready2HelpCongrats Ready2Help! For anyone else who is looking... Pitt Memorial Hospital in Greenville just opened their 2012 New Grad Residency Program. Happy Hunting!They told me they were making the decision early this next week for the position I was interviewing for.
I actually had an interview on Thursday at UNC for the NICU and was offered a position before I left. I start orientation on the 17th and am super excited!Last edit by tnbutterfly on Oct 6, '11 : Reason: Please do not post link to personal blog