What are the best NICU books you've read?Register Today!
This is a discussion on What are the best NICU books you've read? in NICU Nursing / Neonatal, part of Critical Care Nursing ... Hi guys! I'm catching up on my reading and was wondering if you guys happen to read some critical...by neonatal_nurse Jul 29, '09Hi guys! I'm catching up on my reading and was wondering if you guys happen to read some critical care books on NICU. I would really appreciate if you could share some good ones. Thanks a bunch. :wink2:
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=411600©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 8,657 Views
- Jul 29, '09 by dawnglovesLike a clinical book? Everyone will tell you Merenstein and Gardner. If you want food for though in the NICU, read The Lazarus Case: Life-and-Death Issues in Neonatal Intensive Care by John D. Lantos or Saving Very Premature Babies. Key Ethical Issues by Pauline Mifflin
- Jul 29, '09 by neonatal_nursethanks dawngloves!
I'm obviously new to this forum. I already took note of the different suggestions of other members in previous threads.
- Jul 30, '09 by RainDreamerQuote from dawnglovesI'll have to check those out.Like a clinical book? Everyone will tell you Merenstein and Gardner. If you want food for though in the NICU, read The Lazarus Case: Life-and-Death Issues in Neonatal Intensive Care by John D. Lantos or Saving Very Premature Babies. Key Ethical Issues by Pauline Mifflin
I read Saul by Rosemary Kay, on the recommendation of Gompers a while back. Loved it.
- Aug 1, '09 by NeoNurseTXBesides non nursing/medical books, I like a book called Preemies ..it's by 3 authors. Anyway, it's written for parents and I think it's really helpful because sometimes I have a hard time explaining things in lay terms.
- Aug 3, '09 by pinkynbd_99getting in this topic, what books are very useful for medical care in the NICU?
- Aug 3, '09 by psychonautSo, here comes the most un-helpful possible answer; apologies in advance.
We had a book floating around our unit, and it has disappeared. It was authored by a PA-C, and was soft-cover spiral bound. It gave detailed-yet-accessable descriptions of many neonatal/pediatric cardiac defects and the surgeries to correct them. It had fantastic drawings of the anatomy of both the defect and the surgical repair. I loved that book and it drives me nuts that it's gone, and I never got the title or the author (just that he was a PA, I thought that was kinda cool).
One day when I have the time (like now?) I will troll through amazon and see if I get lucky in finding it.
- Aug 3, '09 by dawnglovesPsychonaut, do you mean the Manual of Neonatal Care?
- Aug 3, '09 by pinkynbd_99I'm still in nursing school but I start looking for internships by the end of the year and want something to get me better "knowledged" of the NICU and that will also be useful to me working in the NICU (I speak as if I already have the job!)...here's a few books I've been looking at, if you know of any of these or have a better suggestion, please feel free!
- Aug 5, '09 by psychonautQuote from dawnglovesNo, it was specifically about cardiac defects and surgery. It did have pub info in the inside cover, so I know it wasn't just a single printing.Psychonaut, do you mean the Manual of Neonatal Care?
I looked around amazon last night, no luck. Maybe I'll ask around on the PA forum, since it was written by a CT surgery PA and I figure that may be a bit of a small world.
Great book for visualizing cardiac defects and what the corrective surgery consists of, especially for us neo types.