I got an extern job in the NICU!Register Today!
- by NICU Kristen Feb 27, '12Hi everyone!
I just found out that this summer I will be a nurse extern in a level III NICU at an amazing hospital that I hope to spend my career in! During my interview I told them how much I loved my NICU rotations in school and how I wanted to spend my career in this highly specialized unit. Luckily, they picked me for NICU! I am very very excited!
I'm hoping to get hired as a GN in the NICU at this hospital so I need to make a really great impression. I don't start until summer but I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me... books to read? things to bring with me? words of advice?
Thank you! I'm so excited to begin my NICU journey! :heartbeat
- 2,969 Views
- Feb 27, '12 by NICU Kristenlol thanks
- Feb 28, '12 by simplyblessedCongratulations!! I was under the impression that an externship is considered an internship of sorts, so my assumption is that you would be hired as a GN after its over? I'm not even a nursing student yet, so I could be wrong on that. But that is my dream job and I can't wait to be typing those very same words in the next two and a half years!!
- Feb 29, '12 by celyseRNBSNCongrats! How exciting! I know there is a lot of negativism out there because the job market is so tough, but don't give up on your NICU dream!! You are taking steps in the right direction to get hired as a new grad. Best of luck in your externship!
- Mar 1, '12 by obprofBest of luck to you! I just got hired two months ago in the NICU. I am an old L&D, mother/baby nurse who wanted to try NICU and I love it! Our manager just hired two new nurses who did externships, so I think that helps a lot in getting a job in NICU~
- Mar 5, '12 by NICU KristenI will be this units first ever extern. They have never allowed externs in the NICU before at this hospital! It's a lot of pressure but I am hoping I can convince them to hire me when I graduate in December!