Headache from bili-lights?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Headache from bili-lights? in NICU Nursing / Neonatal, part of Critical Care Nursing ... Does anyone know if working around bili lights can cause a headache? Both days that one of my...by Make.it.workRN Jan 18, '07Does anyone know if working around bili lights can cause a headache? Both days that one of my patients was under the lights I got a headache. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? Thanks!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=201634©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,103 Views
- Jan 18, '07 by prmenrsYou can turn off the lights before you start working w/the baby. That may help.
I would also suggest that you get a pair of sunglasses, make sure they block UV-rays. The "blu-blocker" types are the easiest to see what you're doing while wearing them.
Our Peds Ophthamologist told us that UV Rays are now thought to be associated with, or even cause, cataracts--he even recommended that all babies start wearing sunglasses and keep on wearing them.
I tend to be photo-phobic, so I've worn them from way back, even buying prescription sunglasses. My younger sister, who lives in Hawaii, has not been in the habit of wearing them. She had to have cataract surgery a couple of years ago. So, @ least in my family, the theory has proven to be true.
- Jan 19, '07 by lovemyjobI Dont get headaches, but I start seeeing yellow, like everything has a yellow tint. I def turn them off when I go to do anything to the baby. I also sit with my back to the lights when I am at the desk.
- Jan 19, '07 by dawnglovesThey make me sick to my stomach. I got those amber glasses at the dollar store and they work great!
- Jan 22, '07 by Make.it.workRNThank you! I will go buy some of those blu blocker sunglasses and put them in my locker.
- Jan 30, '07 by lovemyjobI have just experienc emy first bili headache. Right smack in the middle of my forehead. OW!!
- Jan 30, '07 by prmenrsIn my vast experience, I have found that the fastest way to get a bili headache is to smack your head against the bili light! :imbar
- Feb 1, '07 by RainDreamerQuote from prmenrsI accidentally did that the other night ouchieIn my vast experience, I have found that the fastest way to get a bili headache is to smack your head against the bili light! :imbar