Funny/happy NICU moments needed - Page 10Register Today!
- Oct 27, '07 by Sweeper933Quote from EricEnfermeroThis is why I (usually) love IUGR babies! They're so cute and little - and yet they're usually the smartest ones in the room!Happy moment: While your podmate is wrestling with an 8 1/2 lb kid who will not eat, your 1 kg baby (36 wkr, IUGR) takes 40 mL in 3 minutes, then refuses to let go of the nipple.
- Nov 4, '07 by elizabellsOnly tangentially related to pt care, but:
When your NM (who is normally a giant beast who you'd like to make a voodoo doll out of) comes in in the morning, sees that you look like he**, asks what your assignment was, blanches, and says you should have filled out a Protest of Assignment form. That was awesome. Almost made up for the previous 13 hours.
- Dec 30, '07 by Sweeper933I just visited with a former primary of mine - he was 23 6/7 and actually had a relatively "normal" NICU stay - he was able to go home at 44 weeks on room air and all bottle feeding! Anyway... he just turned 2 a month ago and visiting with him was so much fun. It was good to catch up with his parents and to see how well he is doing. They told me that they could always rest a little easier when they knew that I would be there for the night. That's one of the best feelings in the world!
- Jan 2, '08 by achieve08This is such a beautiful thread. I am a nursing student with a goal of working in peds in some capacity, and now I really want to give NICU serious consideration. As a mom myself, I was especially touched by the stories written here. Thank you for the "chicken soup for the soul!"
- Jan 5, '08 by mgalloLPNThank you all for sharing these.
- Jan 7, '08 by KimblyRNone nurse was telling me a story of how back in the day when the Neos did circumcisions, and they used a board to strap down the arms and legs to prevent moving. One little boy somehow wiggled his arms free of the straps and reached up and grabbed the Neo by the hair (and he only had a small ring of hair left) pull his head down and then proceeded to pee in the Neos mouth. I nearly wet my pants when I heard the story and if I had been there I am sure I would have.
- Jan 7, '08 by SteveNNPI love it how preemies will give you a dirty look out of one eye, while having a gorilla grip on their ETT, as if to say, "Yeah, go ahead and stick my heel, and see what happens!!"