NYC Nursing Internship/Externship InformationRegister Today!
This is a discussion on NYC Nursing Internship/Externship Information in New York State Nursing Programs, part of New York Nursing ... Hey everyone! I am currently in my second semester of nursing school in a BSN program. I am...by nycnursing Feb 22, '11Hey everyone!
I am currently in my second semester of nursing school in a BSN program. I am applying for summer externship programs in the NYC region. I wanted to make this posting to see if anyone has anything to say about the externships/internships that they applied for. If you did an externship/internship (gosh what is the difference?!) maybe you could tell us a little bit about the program and what happened to you after you completed it. Thank you so much everyone!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=534001©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 3,327 Views
- Feb 22, '11 by Silverdragon102moved to the NY Nursing Programs Discussion forum
- Apr 22, '11 by AvocadoloveerNo difference
- Apr 23, '11 by ExpatHopefulHey Avocado,
I'm only replying because no one else with first hand experience has. I didn't do an externship/internship (still don't know the difference) but several of my friends did. Two did externships at NYU and had a great experience. They were assigned a unit and a preceptor and worked there one on one with their preceptor, one for a summer and one for just a couple of weeks. They both said that getting to be in the clinical environment for so long was really helpful to their practice, as was getting the one on one attention. They were also guaranteed interviews around graduation time at NYU and that seems to be the general rule in NYC - doing an internship secures you a future job interview/job. Both are graduating in a few weeks and have already been offered a job or are on a job wait list now. Reason enough to do an internship in my book.
- Apr 23, '11 by AvocadoloveerHello! Yes I actually got the NYU externship and I'm debating with Sloan Kettering. They're right. IF you did well during the externship, they will ask you back. My sister is also a former extern and is now a nurse at NYU. There isn't much of difference between externship and internship because I also did my"internship" at Mt. Sinai. Telling you now. Go for any internship or externship, it will help you get a guaranteed job right after your graduation. Then once youre hired, expect to take a bunch of exam on math, ekg, etc.
- Apr 23, '11 by AvocadoloveerI did my first internship before my junior year after I took medsurg I. I'm not sure if theyre taking any application tho but I know lenox hills just recently started accepting apps. Also, you will learn much more than your usual clinical because you get to do more hands on skills. Try to apply and good luck
- Apr 16, '12 by UNC-CH 2011 HOPEFULThis is probably so late to reply to. But I applied to NYU and was wondering when you heard back from them? This waiting game is torture!
Thank you in advance