Stony Brook Accelerated BSN Class of 2014 - page 23
by Emer1234, BSN, RN | 75,549 Views | 356 Comments
I'm surprised a thread for the upcoming class of 2014 has not been created yet (or has it). Well here it is!!! good luck to all :p... Read More
- 0Feb 8, '13 by PacoUSA, BSN, RNQuote from spiritedkiddWell, the first time I got BLS certified was in FL. I did the classroom portion online using an interactive format, got my Part 1 certificate that way and then went to a certified instructor to do the skills portion on a mannequin to finish certification.@Paco-RN: which course did you take for the BLS? im trying to find the post where you mentioned it, but no luck
Last year, I renewed my BLS certification at a local place in Smithtown, the instructor was pretty good. I was renewing, so did not have to take the beginning hour of the 4-hour course, only the recertification part. This is the place I went to: CPR Training NY. I was still a student at the time, so I took advantage of the student discount. But now that I am employed @ the hospital, it will be easier for me to renew through them.
- 0Feb 8, '13 by GoVegI've had a CPR cert for about 6 years now and have taken classes at various places. Every state/area is different but some places offer free CPR classes. They are not very often (like once a month) at places that have them but it's definitely worth liking into. Try to look at hospitals on your area and community centers and community colleges. The price can vary dramatically in my experience (free or $20 compared to $100) depending on where you go. But again, it also really matters where you live.
Also, make sure it's an American Heart cert., BLS for health care providers. You don't want Red Cross or some other course. American Heart is the most widely accepted
- 0Feb 10, '13 by spiritedkiddif youve been accepted to stony's ABSN program, join our facebook group! "stony brook university accelerated nursing class of 2014". we have only 8 members so far and would definitely love to expand and get to know our potential future classmates D plus, its a super great way to make new friends, talk about the upcoming year, etc etc. WOOT WOOT! lol
- 0Feb 11, '13 by GoVegDoes anyone know when we will receive information about loans and financial aid? I completed my FAFSA but I doubt I will get enough to cover my out of state tuition. I've never taken out loans so I'm pretty clueless on how everything works. If I need private loans, when should I be applying for them? I called the aid office today and left a message but no response yet.
- 0Feb 11, '13 by spiritedkidd@paco-RN: also, how important is it to have a car in terms of getting to clinicals/campus/etc ? i know you can carpool, but i was told that the students are split into groups and those who are in the same group as you may not live near you, so it may be difficult to carpool. i plan to live off-campus (if i end up deciding on stonybrook) with a couple other ABSN students and i know theres a chance that we may not even have the same schedules (they said this yr, they accepted 80 and it may be broken up into 2-3 groups since 80 is too big). i dont think there are any public transportation buses, besides the one that goes from the bus stop outside the lirr station to campus. i dont wanna end up walking to campus when its cold/dark out lol ):
- 0Feb 12, '13 by PacoUSA, BSN, RNQuote from spiritedkiddThe group has an OPEN setting right now, meaning that the 600 million members of Facebook can read posts in the group (I can see all the postings, and so can the faculty of the school if they choose to search it out, and there *are* school faculty on Facebook and on here I am sure). I am willing to join the group to help you guys out with advice and info, but I prefer not to have my posts public like this. If the administrator of the group changes the setting to CLOSED, it will privatize the posts to only the members of the group. There are things to be discussed that should not be public information for anyone except the members.if youve been accepted to stony's ABSN program, join our facebook group! "stony brook university accelerated nursing class of 2014". we have only 8 members so far and would definitely love to expand and get to know our potential future classmates D plus, its a super great way to make new friends, talk about the upcoming year, etc etc. WOOT WOOT! lolLast edit by PacoUSA on Feb 12, '13