Ny lpn to rn program charging $1200 for pre-requisite course! Normal??Register Today!
- by LPN2day_RNasap Nov 16, '11Hi all! So.....I went to an Open House today at Helene Fuld College of Nursing in Manhattan and was REALLY shocked to hear that in addition to 3 separate Entrance exams, a pre-req course entitled: "Selected Topics in Chemistry & Mathematics (SCI101) is required BEFORE acceptance to the school. I was confused as to WHY must a prospective student pay $246/credit not including the $248 book needed (OUT OF POCKET)?? I was then told, that the course wouldn't be covered by financial aid since the prospective student hasn't matriculated yet. Additionally, the 10 week course IS NOT GRADED, its based on pass/fail.... HUH? LOL *COMMENTS PLEASE!
Does this sound normal to you, or does it sound like a scam???
-Frustratingly skeptical LPN
- Nov 17, '11 by ternLet me start by saying that I just graduated from HF this past Sunday Nov.13!!!!! The entrance exams you would have to take if you were entering any college except for the nursing one....the nursing entrance exam is a way of testing out of fundamental nursing courses....the sci 101 in my opinon helps to prepare you for the program itself, you can always challenge the sci101....many people who attend HF including myself have been out of school for awhile and this course get your brain working again..lol...I find the money to be a small price to pay for my future as an RN...The program itself is not easy...you must READ your BOOK and do as many questions as possible....don't listen to the negative just stay focussed and you will be successful...I stayed away from the clicks and did my thing...I spent many of days and evenings in Barnes N Noble and it paid off in a big way..I hear so many complaints about HF but I really don't have any...It goes so fast by the time you turn around it's done...I suggest you take the step and you will be a RN before you know it
- Nov 17, '11 by LPN2day_RNasapThanks SO much for replying! You are right..i have heard MANY negative comments about HF and I desperately wanted some HONEST feedback before I forked over $1100+ dollars. I'm a hard worker, and never had a problem picking up a book and reading so that part Im sure I will be fine on. Another question though: How did you like the instructors, and also how is their job placement post graduation?
- Nov 18, '11 by LPN2day_RNasapWere your credits transferrable to a RN to BSN program??
- Nov 20, '11 by roseynurse345I know this couse is annoying, but I think it lets them know you are able to handle college material. The math section will definetely help you. Yes, HFCN credits are transferable, they do have articulation agreements with certain colleges. I'm going to a university that doesn't have articulation agreement with HFCN, had no problem transferring my credits.
- Nov 20, '11 by LPN2day_RNasapOh I'm soo glad to hear that! Thank you so much for all the information about HF! You've been a great help and even inspired me a bit! Kudos to you, and best wishes in YOUR nursing career!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
- Nov 23, '11 by newnyclpngood luck on hf, all the professionals i spoke too, spoke highly of that school, and its my dream to go there. I just passed the nclex pn today, and I've been looking for employment but everyone wants experience I don't have its so frustrating, not sure where to turn, do you have any suggestions? and again good luck on hf
- Nov 24, '11 by akanini"I find the money to be a small price to pay for my future as an RN."
This is soooo correct, Tern!
Like I said in a previous post, "The longer you stay a LPN, the longer you lose out on RN money." Someone told me this 3 years ago when I became a LPN and it has always stuck in my head. Don't let anyone/anything hinder you from becoming a RN if you can.
The course is not a scam at all. You can TEST OUT of the course. I've never heard of anyone doing it and passing though. I also know people who can't pass the course. So just do it because it's the only way you can start the nursing courses at HF. Do you have your pre-reqs already? If you do, I heard Laquardia has a good program also.
All the best on your educational endeavors.
- Aug 27, '12 by akaniniThe essay will be an argumentative topic. You have to take a stand and give reasons why you support what your decision. One question asked if you think smoking should be banned in NYC parks.
- Jun 7 by msnurse10001I was just curious to know if you did the RN program at HELENE FULD?