CNA cert while in LPN program rockland/BOCES.. NYSRegister Today!
- by DelleBrock Aug 23, '12Hello everyone. I am new to the site. Im in this site everyday and its wonderful!!! Look forward to making new POSITiVE friends here I will be starting the LPN program in 2 weeks, rockland BOCES. Does anyone know if I can sit for the LPN state exam after completing a certain amount of required hours or clinicals. I'm unemployed and my employment benefits are running out soon and looking to work as a CNA to gain bedside experience, and network. Everyone is telling me I should not pay for the CNA training because nursing schools training is above and beyond CNA's. Does anyone know if the BOCES program will qualify me for the state CNA exam?
- Aug 23, '12 by pookypI Always thought you get cna certified the first few weeks in lpn school. I believe you do.
- Aug 23, '12 by DelleBrockI hope that's the case! Thanks
- Aug 23, '12 by LeeLeeTheGPNAfter you complete a certain amount of clinical rotations, your school will usually send in paper work to your state's department of health showing proof that you completed a certain amount of fundamentals of nursing and clinicals. Then your state will issue you an Authorization to Test to take the state certification exam for CNAs.
- Aug 23, '12 by DelleBrockThanks a mill! Such a relief because I need work ASAP and I prefer to work in my field of study rather than some retail job. I'll bring it up during orientation. Do you know what other positions I would qualify for other than CNA? Like PCT, or something???
- Aug 24, '12 by KikikinsI just asked this question yesterday at Orange County BOCES and they told me the moment I successfully complete Level 1 I can sit for the CNA exam. Also, since you are entering an in demand field you should ask your local Unemployment/One Stop Career Center to see if you can shift to retraining benefits -- the 599 program (Training/599 Program: Frequently Asked Questions - New York State Department of Labor). if approved you get an additional 26 weeks of benefits while you are in school.
- Aug 24, '12 by DelleBrockThanks Kiki! I was notified a while back from 599 but didn't qualify at that time because I needed to complete a training within 24months from when I start the unemployment, and I wasn't in a program back then. I was just taking science classes at community college. However now that I'm in an actual program I will visit them monday to see if I can qualify being that will complete the LPN program in 10 months (which is before 24 months). My unemployment is up December (1 year). It's no longer 2 years ;(
Question? Did you start orientation yet at your BOCES??
- Aug 25, '12 by KikikinsNot yet OU BOCES orientation is Sept. 5. I still have a few things to sort out (immunizations disappeared in the last move) but so far so poor! We should network and see if our programs are similar enough we can study online together. In the end we all take the same exam right?
- Aug 26, '12 by JustBeachyNursemoved to NY State Nursing Program forum
- Aug 27, '12 by HeiseCI don't know how it is in your neck of the woods but in mine, CNA exam is what is called "challenge the state". If you know the material's, the skills and can pass the test, then you will get your certification. That was what I heard, but I don't know if it's 100% true.