Hello all those looking for a nursing job in New York City! I've been searching for months, and thought it was about time to share my thoughts and wisdom. Below is my map & extensive hospital spreadsheet:
If you download the spreadsheet, try highlighting all the data + right click + 'custom sort' by # beds, hospital network, or travel time from Penn Station. This data is all updated from US News Best Hospitals, hospital websites, and salaries from Allnurses.
Things I've learned:
1) The search is intimidating to start, but once you understand the websites it gets easier! I've been regularly applying to HHC, NYP, NSLIJ, NYU, Continuum, Mount Sinai, and Montefiore.
2) Continuum has no jobs. NYP will not accept your app if you don't meet the experience requirements. NYU is not seeking outside applicants until December due to EPIC go-live.
3) New grads and ADNs positions are hard to come by and highly competitive.
4) Get your NY RN license. Make sure your resume & cover letter are flawless.
5) Keep in touch with your HR contacts. Cold-calling and walk-ins have gotten me nowhere...but hey, it's worth a shot.
6) Consider NJ jobs. I never got around to obtaining my NJ license or applying there.
Feel free to PM me if you need any further help. Good luck everyone!