accelerated bsn program at njcu in jersey city, nj - Page 8Register Today!
- Jul 22, '08 by Kaylah18NJ2008 -
That's strange, let us know how that turns out.
You applied for the Fall 2008 program at NJCU's campus right? Not the communiversity at Wall?
- Jul 22, '08 by NJ2008Hey Kaylah18,
Yeah I applied to the fall 2008 program at NJCU's campus. They said once I officially recieve my 1st degree in August they will accept me.
- Jul 23, '08 by sweetlife313Congrats Nj2008
- Jul 28, '08 by Love840207yea congratz!
- Aug 2, '08 by MaryjanefineHi there,
I graduated from njcu about 2 yrs ago with a bs in finane and am now considering the accelerated nursing program offered by them. I have also looked into the umdnj, seton hall (very expensive) and I believe fdu. Anyhow, njcu has prerequesites I must take like anatomy 1&2 microbiology, and I believe dev psych (I only took intro to psych). When I was looking at their course list for these classes they are so many prerequesites for each one for exp. for prin of anatomy & phys 1, you need prin of bio 1 & 2. But inorder to take bio 2, you must first take bio 1 in the first semester, then bio 2 in the second semester, and then prin of anatomy & phys in either the summer sessions if offered or the coming fall. Then to take microbiology, you need prin of bio 1 &2 and chem. but to take chem you need another chemistry course i believe. I was overwhelmed and figured I not get into the program until 1.5 yr later. Any advice, do you or anyone know of colleges where there aren't many prerequesites. I am looking into hccc because I did see online there isnt any prerequesite for their prin of anatomy & phsy. 1. and I am going to confirm that on Monday when I call. But I think I still have to wait 1yr before applying just to take these 3 or more course with the requirements. I just need guidance. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
- Aug 2, '08 by NJRNtobeHi Mary Jane,
Yes...you're right. The classes they want you to have do have prerequisites. The general sequence for the life sciences is Bio I, Bio II, A&P I, then A&P II. For the chemistry, I don't think they require organic chemistry, and so it would be Chem I & Chem II - not sure if they require Chem II as well. So yeah, if you started now, it would probably take you at least a year and a half. And trust me, you will want to have taken at least one chemistry before you take microbiology.
But that's why they can make the program as short as it is (12 months). You need a solid foundation of life science before you can understand disease and how it works in the body.
I know it probably feels a little discouraging, but just about ALL schools will require these classes for a BSN in nursing. I'm not sure about online schools, so you might want to check there, but trust me, you will NEED a majority of these classes to grasp more advanced concepts down the road. It really is to your benefit. And since the program is accelerated, there's no time to slow down and go back and relearn basic concepts.
If you can't understand how the sodium/potassium pump creates an action potential that stimulates the SA node resulting in a heartbeat, you won't be able to understand numerous diseases. And to them, that's considered basic physiology and chemistry, and they will expect you to know it. Trust me, my first degree was Biology and even I had to go back and review some things. So it really is to your benefit even if it seems like a hassle.
Sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to hear, but if you're serious about nursing, accelerated programs are a great thing. You can still have another Bachelor's degree in 2.5 years. Think about it. I'm in the program now so you can PM me if you have any other questions.
- Aug 2, '08 by MaryjanefineThank you so much. I was looking into hudson county community college and I did see that there isn't any prerequisite for anatomy 1, only eng. comp 1, but I am going to confirm that because if that's the case I will take it there in the mean time and try to prep as much as possible for the other courses. I did wanted to pm you but I read I have to post at least 15 times and since I just registered today, this is only my second. Thanks for the quick reply. I am considering becoming a crna and am so anxious to get started. Its ok for me to wait, I don't want to but if that's what it takes then so be it. Can you believe after majoring in Finance, which I love as well, now I want to become a nurse. My orginal passion was to become a dr. because of my mother dying when i was a little girl. I wanted to be some sort of healer..lol anyhow because I had my two boys very young, it would have taken me forever to be a dr. and not being able to provide for my children as a single mom. So instead of going for nursing, I went into finance and now look at me..lol. Well during this time while I am working I am going to try to save up some money to make it possible for me to due it fulltime without working. I really don't want to take out any loans but will see what happens. Thanks again.
- Aug 4, '08 by miralpnMARYJANEFINE
when i get to my 15 posts (am almost there) i will pm you.
- Aug 4, '08 by miralpni hear njcu orientation is on the 7th of this month good luck and congratulations to everyone going.