Tips for living with someone preparing to take/waiting for results of their NCLEX:
1. Never ever say: It's not REALLY that hard, is it? Gee, hope you didn't bomb it, that would suck. So what happens if you failed? How much does it cost to repeat the test? Gee, hope you didn't bomb it, that would suck. I'm sure you did fine.
You really don't want to have that conversation.
2. Don't ask me how I did. At this point I'm not even sure I took the test, it all seems like a bad, bad fuzzy terrible dream. A sick, sad, twisted dream.
3. You may want to tread softly around me. If I have a glassy look in my eyes, do not attempt to bring me back to reality, because I am probably having a flashback to a particularly difficult question.
4. When I do decide to voice my concerns about the NCLEX, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, Please do not tell me you're sure I did fine. That is the equivalent of saying, "I'm sure that mole isn't cancerous..."
5. Don't give me a strange look if I start talking to myself, I am reasoning out my answer to question #75.
6. Don't tell me not to worry. I have worked for years to get to this point, and this test is the culmination of my journey. The wise man at the top of the snowy mountain is going to tell me my fate. You may as well tell me not to breathe.
7. If you hear me cursing under my breath, I am not cursing at you. I am cursing at the people that make up NCLEX questions.
8. Be supportive, do something to take my mind off the test while I am waiting for the results. Take me bowling, take me fishing, take me to the river, throw me in.....
9. I'll be OK, honestly, I will. But if I wasn't OK, which action would you take FIRST to ensure that I was?
A. Psych eval
B. Psychiatric Evaluation
C. Ask me how I feel about a psychiatric evaluation
D. Call the physician for a psych eval
10. If you witness me burning my review book, don't be concerned. Get out the weenies and marshmallows, cause I'm gonna make sure that fire's burning hot.
Extreme, I know, but I hope it made you laugh. My friend and I made these up after we took our test on Friday. Good luck everyone!!