Pregnant RN caring for a CMV patient
- 0Jul 6, '11 by senseiRNI'm looking over kaplan questions and this one involves a pregnant RN caring for a client diagnosed with CMV. The RN is in early pregnancy (if that makes a difference). My first thought was to reassign the client to other patients. But Kaplan said that reassignment is unnecessary and to just "ensure that the staff member follows standard precautions"... The rationale is "make pregnant RN aware of the risks; use standard precautions, do not reassign"
- 6,470 Views
- 0Jul 6, '11 by caliotter3I would think that they are requiring you to know specifically which situations a pregnant nurse has to be kept from. In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't know this unless I knew that knowledge this detailed is necessary for the NCLEX. We certainly did not study it in school.
- 0Jul 6, '11 by NurseHopeful52011Quote from sensei07I'm looking over kaplan questions and this one involves a pregnant RN caring for a client diagnosed with CMV. The RN is in early pregnancy (if that makes a difference). My first thought was to reassign the client to other patients. But Kaplan said that reassignment is unnecessary and to just "ensure that the staff member follows standard precautions"... The rationale is "make pregnant RN aware of the risks; use standard precautions, do not reassign"
This is funny because I did the QT7 as well and was livid when I saw that answer. In the review video for Kaplan, the woman even says NOT to assign a pregnant nurse to a CMV client. Then in Pearson Vue's "Exam Cram" it says not to assign a pregnant nurse to a patient with CMV either! It's part of TORCHS so I don't think you would. I was also pretty confused about a question where a CNA had herpes zoster and they told her to still come in to work and not work with the at risk population. That is my biggest problem with Kaplan, their rationales aren't that great. One question listed rationales as "not correct", which annoyed me. You just gotta take less time trying to prove a question wrong and spend more time saying 'it is what it is", research and move on. NCLEX is solely test book nursing, so look it up in your maternity nursing or management book possibly. But I will say that NCLEX questions look very similar to Kaplan, so keep reviewing and good luck
- 0Jul 6, '11 by senseiRNHi NurseHopeful52011,
I looked it up and cytomegalovirus is spread through direct contact so standard precautions is sufficient. As for the herpes zoster, unless it is disseminated herpes zoster, it is contact precautions........ and only jeopardizes patients if it is exposed. Since the lesions were on the back of the CNA (and thus covered), he was safe to work.
- 0Jul 6, '11 by Goody86The funny thing is that kaplan had two review questions about herpes zoster. One said that since the area of the body affected could be covered they could resume working, and the other question stated that a person had herpes zoster on the trunk of his/her body and was not allowed to work. Didn't understand that difference.
- 0Feb 3, '12 by ro2878I know you guys posted a while ago, but I just did this question and was also mad when I reviewed the rationale. I googled "can RN care for cytomegalovirus Pt" and your post came up. I did read that the pregnant RN should be made aware of the cytomagalovirus and to wash her hands very well. I took the Kaplan class and our instructor told us this was the only time that the RN could refuse to care for a Pt! Given the chance of birth defects/issues, I don't see why the RN could not refuse to care for the Pt.
I'm taking NCLEX 2/6 and am starting to get that panicked feeling!
- 0Feb 3, '12 by lc1028hey ro2878... i just completed QT 7 today and had the same issues with those questions! its so annoying. but i guess it makes sense that CMV is spread through contact so standard precautions are enough but you just have to inform the nurse. lets just hope we dont get a questions on this!!! i take the exam the same day as you!!! im getting so nervous and drained from reviewing!!
- 0Feb 3, '12 by ro2878I know! I took the Kaplan class the first week of Jan 2 and I am so over this stuff. I am just going over all of the rationales for QT 7 now. I definitely did not do that test in just 1 sitting - had to split it up. I am just glad I got at least a 67% on it. I've done what I hope is ok (scores from 58-76%) but now, I am panicking about all the stuff I feel like I forgot from school (EKGs, vents, sepsis, the ACLS meds, etc). Maybe that stuff is too "critical" for a new RN? I know it's impossible to cram everything in this weekend, but I feel like I need to go back and review my school notes. Plus, the meds are making me crazy! There is just no way to know them. Come on, who knows off the top of their head whether every med should be taken with or without food .
Do you know whether SATA questions can have answer choices that are all correct? I know I asked our Kaplan instructor if only 1 answer could be correct and she said no. I can't remember if I asked her about all of them being correct.
Where are you? I'm in AZ.
- 0Feb 3, '12 by lc1028omg you just made me LOL! i feel the EXACT same way about knowing all the med info with or without food, in the morning, at night, without with milk, with orange juice. seriously!?! haha
i'm going over the rationales for QT 7 now too! i got a 69% so we are right at the same level. my averages are pretty consistent in the mid-high 60's now... in the beginning i was getting low 50's but then even got an 83 on one of the sample tests so i hope its okay as well!
i am panicking too but i realize that its impossible to remember everything. and yeah you are probably right we need to remember that it is going to test us on graduate level info (hopefully) i think im gonna look over my notes from my rationales and then i have a comprehensive review book that i might skim over in the areas i am weak in tomorrow (pharm, endo, and things like hypo & hyper everything!) i wouldn't go back to your school notes. do you have any kind of comprehensive book for nclex? i think i am done doing practice questions and i just want to focus on doing an overall quick review. have you looked at the review document from this website? i can try to find the link or email it you if you dont have it yet. its pretty helpful with mneumonics and random info to know.
about the SATA... there is always more than 1 correct answer but never all of them. so basically 2-5 anwers if there are 6 choices. does that make sense? im in NY!! i've never been to AZ but i bet its Nice and warm there compared to here!!!