Need advice on HOW to study for nclex-pn!Register Today!
This is a discussion on Need advice on HOW to study for nclex-pn! in NCLEX Discussion Forum, part of Nursing Student ... hello!!! i graduated from LPN program July 13, 2012! Woohoo! I already received my ATT and i...by tatacho Aug 7, '12hello!!! i graduated from LPN program July 13, 2012! Woohoo! I already received my ATT and i scheduled my nclex-pn for the first available date... AUGUST 27, 2012!!! AHHHH!!! I don't think anyone ever feels "ready" to take the exam... but i've heard that the sooner you take it, the higher chance you have of passing it!
Okay, so to study... i'm doing questions from the saunders (green book) and questions from exam cram (which, honestly, i feel they're not challenging enough; easier then saunders). I'm going over the questions i got wrong and going over that specific material. looking at my lab values, maslow's, nursing process, ABCs. IDK HOW ELSE TO STUDY?! If anyone has any tips for me... PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE, PLEASE?!
I'm praying that i'll pass on first try... i did great with my ATIs. Idk if that'll make a difference.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=768209©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 5,709 Views
- Aug 10, '12 by boisern84I am not a big fan of exam cram but seems like you are on the right track. Def make sure you add psych medications and disease, diabetes, isolation precautions along with donning/doffing ppe and which patients you should see first! Good luck!
- Aug 11, '12 by jagged777i used saunders comprehensive 4th edition, pda by la charity, kaplan strategies nclex pn practice and review 2012-2013, exam cram 1000 question 3rd edition and study guide. the following steps worked for me. so give it a shot and hope it helps.
(step 1)i would suggest focusing on the content areas you know that you are weak/struggle/have problems in first. review it as much as you can till you are comfortable with it, then review the areas that you already know next to reinforce the knowlegde.
(step 2)get the kaplan strategies nclex pn, practice and review 2012-2013 book from amazon like $22. read it cover to cover 3 times, practicing and understanding how to use each strategy step by step till you can identity which is the strategy to use when answering a particular question. do not cram the steps/ strategy it won't work. after reading all the strategy, now you can attempt the questions on the back and once you answer the question on the back, read the rational for both right and wrong answers trust me it worked for me. i had so much more insight on how i arrived at the right answers and wrong answers.
(step3) pda book ( priortorization, delegation, assignment) this book is a must have, practice , apply the kaplan strategy with each question and read the rational for both right and wrong answers.
(step 4) exam cram 3rd edition with 1000 questions including the cd. apply the strategy with each question is work, it all about pratice, practice, practice (allen iverson voice lol ). with the exam cram start with the study mode to fill it out by doing 50 ques, then 75 ques, then 100 ques applying the strategy and then proceed to the exam mode still using the strategy to answer the questions.
(step 5) the last 2wks or wk before your test, practice sata questions throug nclex.dover.edu/nclexpn click on review - under alternate items only click on nursing topics- click select all - the next part is key practice 30 questions from the alternate items daily and reading the rationals.
(step 6) mediating, working out and positive reaffirmation everyday(saying i will pass my nclex exam and believing in what u say). you have come this far and quiting is not an option, success the the only option and it will be yours. think of a time when you were confident or passed an an exam and felt good about yourself and tap into the energy and use it for motivation.
last but not the least i dont know your religion, but whatever it is pray and fast it helps. on the day of your exam relax and control your breathing. take breaks if you have to or when its offered. remember that the pain that u feel right now is only temporary and success will eventually take its place which will be permanent. but if you quit now the pain will be forever. there is a video on youtube by eric thomas on success type in "how bad do you want it success" in the search bar on youtube the video comes up and its very motivation/inspirational.
so now make a study schedule for youself and stick with it. figure out what study style is best for you and stick with. i know you have heard everyone here say this, "you can do it, just believe, know it and claim it.Last edit by Esme12 on Aug 17, '12 : Reason: TOS/removed link/formatting
- Jagged777, hi, in LaCharity, what chapters did you review most or all, what about the case study chapters?
- Aug 11, '12 by jagged777Quote from Assess&Safety1stJagged777, hi, in LaCharity, what chapters did you review most or all, what about the case study chapters?
The first 18 chapters.
- Ok, I'm on chapter 10 now, eye, sclera, eye surgery, sty, cataract surgery issues hmmm lol not interesting but doing them, Yup ;/
Ok almost close to chapter 18!
- Did you get a lot of SATA on NCLEX ? Yeah, you passed, have you been applying for jobs?
- Aug 16, '12 by tatachoThank you sooooo much for the replies! I'll definitely be studying my weak areas. I'm also refreshing on the formulas for meds and drop rate. The meds i'm looking over are the ones I passed during clinical and some meds my teacher informed us of. Idk, there are so MANY meds, it's impossible to remember them all. 11 days and counting! Ahhh! I'm jogging for 45 mins (Mon-Fri) and having "me" time on the wkend. Two wks ago i felt i burned a hole through m stomach because i was so stressed out! I'm praying that God is with me while i test to stay clam, strong, and focused!
today i studied: endocrine disorders, DM, and isolation precautions.
- Aug 16, '12 by tatachoBtw, jagged777, that review is AWESOME!!!!! THANKS A BUNCH! \m/Last edit by Esme12 on Aug 17, '12
- Aug 17, '12 by Esme12This is to remind the membership know that Allnurses does not provide nor endorse any study "guide". Although Allnurses does not prohibit the sharing of e-mails it is strongly discouraged to protect your privacy and safety. Allnurses is heavily indexed for search engines, like google, and is a public site which is scanned by spam bots for information.
Allnurses also prohibits the circulation of copyrighted information as per the Terms Of Service.Copyrighted Material:
No "spreading of copyrighted Material": Please do not upload, attach or post anything that is copyright or licensed without prior consent of the owner. For example, if you want to post content from an online article, do not post the whole article, post a partial synopsis, and then a link to the source.
Please do not request or post test questions, test preparation materials, test bank codes, or post links to, or use this site to send or request via email or pm such material that is protected by copyright. THOSE POSTING/SHARING SUCH TEST-RELATED COPYRIGHT MATERIAL WILL BE BANNED.Last edit by Esme12 on Aug 17, '12