Do those books have test taking stratagies in them? I just got a
Kaplan NCLEX-RN with Cdrom
AllDirect.com $25.85 6th ed ISBN: 074323295X
Pub. Date: February 2002 Edition Desc: BK&CD-ROM
AllDirect.com $25.85 5th ED
AllDirect.com is the cheapest place online, that price include s&h, you can get it for less on e-bay, just wath the edition. I got the 5th Ed, but wouldn't go any older than that.
That Kaplan book REALLY, REALLY explains how to read the questions. I will repost my quiz questions from the book, out of about 40 folks that played along only 1 person got all 5 correct. I have been using the Kaplan stratagies in class since getting the book, it has even helped on those tests. How old are your other books?
Do NOT read into the question, you have all the info & resources you need, this is the NCLEX hospital. These are from the beginning of one of my NCLEX study guides, so they are made to make you think about how to READ the questions.
1. The nurse is caring for a 56 y/o man receiving Haldol 2 mg PO BID. The nurse assists the patient to choose which of the following menus?
A. 3 oz roast beef, baked potato, salad with dressing, dill pickle, baked apple pie, & milk.
B. 3 oz baked chicken, green beans, steamed rice, 1 slice bread, banana & milk.
C. Cheeseburger on a bun, French fries with catsup, chocolate chip cookie, apple & milk.
D. 3 oz baked fish, 1 slice bread, broccoli, ice cream, and pineapple drink taken 1/2 - 1 hour after the meal.
2. The nurse describes the procedure for collecting a clean catch urine for culture and sensitivity to a male pt. Which of the following explanations, if made by the nurse, would be most accurate?
A. The urinary meatus is cleansed and then a urinary drainage catheter is inserted to obtain urine.
B. You will be asked to empty your bladder 1/2 hour before the test; you will then be asked to void in a container.
C. Before voiding, the urinary meatus is cleansed and urine is voided into a sterile container; the container must not touch the penis.
D. You must void a few drops of urine, then stop; then void the remaining urine into a clean container, which should be covered immediately.
3. The physician orders an ABG for a 50 y/o man receiving oxygen at 6 L/min. Results show pH 7.37, HCO3 - 26mmHg, pCO2 - 42 mmHg, pO2 - 90 mmHg. The nurse should
A. Increase the rate of oxygen flow the patient is receiving.
B. Elevate the head of the bed.
C. Document the results in the chart.
D. Instruct the patient to cough and deep breath.
4. The nurse is caring for a 41 y/o woman immediately after a paracentesis. It is most important for the nurse to ask which of the following questions?
A. Do your clothes still feel tight?
B. Do you need to void?
C. Are you feeling dizzy?
D. Do you have any pain?
5. An 84 y/o man is admitted with a diagnosis of dementia. He attempts several times to pull out his NG tube. An order for cloth wrist restraints is received by the nurse. Which of the following actions by the nurse is the most appropriate?
A. Attach the ties of the restraint to the bedframe.
B. Perform ROM to the restrained extremities once a shift.
C. Remove the restraints when the patient is up in a wheelchair.
D. Explain the need for restraints only to the family since the patient is confused.