Finally, done with NCLEX! I am just sharing my experience to people to help through the exam. Especially for people taking RN exam, which I believe got harder this April 2013.
I am a foreign grad, yes I took both exams and passed them. Basically I challenged the LVN/LPN exam in CA, the BVNPT approved me. all this time I was just reviewing for my RN exam, then TWO weeks before my exam ELIGIBILITY FROM CA BVNPT came, I was like is this a joke? haha! so it came to me that this is a good opportunity since I can actually test myself on the PN before taking RN so I would know how it feels like before taking RN exam (my real goal). I took 8 months for BVNPT to determine my eligibility for the exam, so I almost forgot I have one.
So I decided to take PN on july 12 upon receiving my letter I registered and scheduled it. I actually traveled 30 miles from home to take the exam in Gardena, CA (only center that has July 12 available before my RN exam).
I never reviewed for this, I just took my chance since I have been reviewing for my RN exam so I believe in LVN exam and RN "skin is still a skin whatever exam it is right"? hope you guys know what I mean. haha! since Ive been reviewing for RN i know RN's scope of practice and I know the LVN's so I did not review for it. took it on 8am, finished after 1.5hours I stopped at 85. I had 10+ SATA, 5 DRAG AND DROPS, 3 PICTURES. I did not have any Medication Calculations, not even an IV. haha! I can SAY LVN exam is actually more "OBJECTIVE" type than RN exam. RIght after walking out of the site, I KNOW I PASSED, I KNOW I GOT THE RIGHT ANSWER. (check my explanation in RN portion). I had a good pop here and got my lvn letter yesterday!
July 15, before the exam day. I made sure that I will be sooo busy that I will not think about exam, morning i went to gym, then helped my cousin for shopping then by late afternoon I went to see my GF to watch a movie then have dinner and went to Disney Downtown. I actually got home almost midnight. I only had energy to take shower and prep for bed and SLEPT SO GOOD! than when I took LVN exam I was up all night! ahaha!
July 16: exam day I was up 5am, watching some movies then switched to Grey's anatomy from Amazon prime. Did not really wanna think the exam haha! 8AM my exam I was almost late haha I was freaking out thought i got lost. anyhow, I finished 80 Questions, 100% sure when I walked out of the site that I FAILED, because the questions were so hard (5 SATA, 2 CHARTS, 4 DRAG AND DROPS, 2 PICS) NO ECG, NO MEDICATION NO IVF CALCULATION). I was even thinking of retaking it next month, it was true as per marlene HURST, the worst you feel on the exam the better (but at that time i was not thinking about this i was sad!). so I went to my car and grabbed my phone and checked i did PVT, GOOD POP! then after 48 HOURS, QUICK RESULTS: paid $7 and finally it showed "PASS" wish i can attach a pic here!
*One of the things i actually did week before exams: I did not drink any coffee, I detoxified my body from caffeine, with drinking of green tea from costco, i had two big packs for a week! haha I am not sure if this is psychological help or idk. all i know I WAS SO CALM ON THE EXAMS, I WAS SO NERVOUS ON THE FIRST QUESTION but after that, felt like I was DOING QNA.
MATERIALS I USED FOR MY 10 WEEK REVIEW, NO REVIEW CLASS!:
- SAUNDERS COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW FOR NCLEX-RN 5TH EDITION
- HURST REVIEW AUDIO
- SAUNDERS Q&A
- LIPPINCOTT'S NEWEST Q&A EDITION (BEST BOOK FOR QNA! PLEASE PLEASE BUY THIS! WHY? I MYSELF I WAS GETTING 65-70% OF THE QUESTIONS HERE, IN FACT IF YOU CAN DO BETTER, I GUARANTEE YOU! YOU'LL PASS NCLEX, WHY? THE QUESTIONS IN THIS Q&a BOOK ARE EVEN HARDER AND MORE COMPLEX THAN THE EXAM ITSELF!)
- KAPLAN QTRAINER (I ONLY DID UNTIL 5 BECAUSE MY STUPID PC CRASHED AND WIPED OUT SO I REINSTALLED IT OF COURSE I WOULDNT REPEAT IT.
- KAPLAN TEST TAKING STRATEGIES 2013-14 - THIS BOOK IS ONE OF MY FAVE, IT ACTUALLY HELPED ME IN ATTACKING SATA QUESTIONS THAT ARE SO HARD TO ANSWER AND VERY DEPRESSING! I WAS ONLY ABLE TO DO THE BOOK QUESTIONS, THE CD I DID NOT HAVE TIME.
- PDA BY LA CHARITY - I JUST BOUGHT THIS ACUTALLY BUT UNFORUNATELY I ONLY ANSWERED FIRST 3 CHAPTERS, Y? THIS BOOK MADE ME SO DEPRESSED! HAHA SERIOUSLY, I DONT KNOW BUT IT WAS NOT WORKING FOR ME!
THAT'S ALL FOLKS, I FEEL HAPPY SHARING YOU MY STORY, please feel free asking questions!