Is a tablet a good investment for nursing schoolRegister Today!
- by clclc4444 May 22, '11Our school encourages the use of electronics and skyscape but it is optional. Before I drop $600, I would like to know if the tablets are handy in a school setting? Thanks.
- 12,297 Views
- May 22, '11 by caliotter3Think twice before dropping $600 if you decide to buy a tablet. About three weeks after I bought my Galaxy Tab from T-Mobile, they dropped $100 from the price, then a short time later, they are now selling it for about half what I originally paid.
- May 23, '11 by MN-NurseQuote from clclc4444Tablets look cool but I never saw anyone really use them for anything you wouldn't do with a small laptop or netbook. I used a Toshiba NB305 Netbook during nursing school the last two years and it did everything I needed - with a long battery life to boot. I a paid about $350 for it and it's still kicking.Our school encourages the use of electronics and skyscape but it is optional. Before I drop $600, I would like to know if the tablets are handy in a school setting? Thanks.
- May 23, '11 by lemidoraI've never seen anyone use a tablet at my school. Most people have macbooks or netbooks. Personally, I think you might get more use out of a macbook/netbook. I use an asus netbook and love it to pieces. It has all the programs I need, the charge lasts about 7-8 hours when I'm continuously working on it and it's small and light (which is a real bonus given the enormous size of my textbooks ), plus it didn't cost a small fortune to buy it. Having said this, every school is different and it may be of more help asking people who go to your school what they use.
- May 23, '11 by That GuyTablets are a young market. They are still trying to feel out what their market is. I would say depending on your lifestyle, do you need it? Me, Im tired of laptops. My laptops always break, I am just really hard on them and all the moving components dont go well with that. So i upgraded to a desktop but I miss being able to sit on my couch and do random things online. that is where the tablet is awesome for me. I would never use it at school. a small ipod touch was what I used and that was only for a semester as it was more of a weight in my pocket than useful.
- May 23, '11 by Bob_N_VAThe biggest issue would be how well you could use it for mundane tasks like note taking and such. You can't keep up on a touch screen, thats for sure, so you really need a keyboard. Now the tablet is just another laptop and the keyboard is either wireless or wired but you need something to prop up the screen. The other issue is the OS, if its running android, what apps can you get that will let you read and edit MS Office files which are the common demominator for all your school related documentation. I'm not even sure how an IPAD would handle that, so do that research before you buy. Any time you buy bleeding edge technology, be prepared for it to take a nosedive in value real quick, that is just the nature of the beast.
I've been using a Dell netbook for going on two years. Not the most fun typing on the small keyboard but I manage. With the 6 cell battery life, I am still managing to run about 4-5 hours on one charge and these machines are going in the 2-300 dollar range still. I started out as the only person in class using a PC for notes, now there are about 4-5 with one other person using a netbook.
- May 23, '11 by traumaRUsLet me move this the Mobile Computing and Nursing Forum.
- May 23, '11 by spongebob6286i would prefer something handy but u should also want to consider memory. as a student u will be downloading a lot of stuffs. u may want an ipad.
- May 23, '11 by kevinadurrFor school, I utilized an ipod because it was also allowed in clinical and could fit in my pocket. While Ipads and tablets are the newest and coolest thing, productivity requires a behavioral change adjustment. The best combo for school is a laptop and ipod for mobility. Spend some time looking into online clouds such as Google Docs to store powerpoints and class assignments.
- May 25, '11 by spongebob6286i will go for laptop and ipod. ipads / tablets are priced the same with laptop