Should I get a Blackberry?Register Today!
- by mmccool719 Sep 5, '09First semester ADN student who has a chance to upgrade for free to a Blackberry. Is it something I can really use in school/clinicals? Thanks in advance.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=421556©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,001 Views
- Sep 5, '09 by CrunchyMamaI'm against cellphones and don't even have one of those, so my answer would be no, lol. But it's up to you.
- Sep 5, '09 by CDeniseGoIt would depend on your school/clinical instructor. Some are cool with them, others aren't. You should talk to faculty before you get it
- Sep 5, '09 by NatsFan15I love mine. With the extra memory card it holds all my resources needed for clinicals and beyond. It took some getting used to be I'm in love with it. If you've got the upgrade and your instructors don't mind a smartphone (ours encourage them or ipod touches) then I say go for it
- Sep 5, '09 by yelnikmcwawaLove mine! I got an extra memory card ($30) so that I could download nursing software onto it without slowing the phone down, and I use it all the time. I have yet to pay for software, but I downloaded the free Epocrates drug software and I was using it ALL day yesterday in clinical. That software is worth it's weight in gold because it contains everything that a drug book does, and it's totally free!
I have also just gone onto the internet to look up unfamiliar diagnoses' and labs, etc. If your school and facilities allow you to have one, I say go for it!
Some of my classmates have Palms in addition to their phones, but I just don't see the point of having 2 devices, if you can have 1 that does both functions! I like that I can carry my phone on me to use it's smart phone capabilities, but then peek at it occasionally to make sure no emergency calls or texts have come in about my child. I keep mine on total silence without vibration, because the vibration is just as annoying as the phone ringing, and that way I'll not be reprimanded for carrying it. Hope this helps!
- Sep 5, '09 by Wanderlust, RNdon't forget that if your device comes with microsoft office you can download your own notes from school into your phone. i use my moto g all the time (in clinical and elsewhere). be sure to turn off the phone feature though...lol.
- Sep 5, '09 by mmccool719Okay...so do Blackberries come with MS Office and are they a "Smart Phone" and can you buy the extra $30 memory card for a Blackberry. I am so tech illiterate!! LOL! You all are great by the way.
- Sep 6, '09 by Silverdragon102Moved to the mobile computing forum
- Sep 9, '09 by traumaRUsYes, BB is a smartphone and does come with a hybrid type of Microsoft office.
I have the BB CUrve (got it in March 09) and am happy with it. It holds a lot and I use it all the time. I used to have to carry a phone, a PDA and a pager and I'm down to only the BB and a pager.
- Sep 12, '09 by LacieI had the Palm Centro and went to Palm Pre. I loved them!!! With the extra memory card and I can put my notes in the data. I use excel, works, etc with it. As a previous poster stated also you can put your notes in for a quick reference when needed for a quick review before a test etc. Wouldnt be without one.