I would like your advise on the purchase of a PDA for use in my nursing clinicals.
A quick review of PDAs posted on this forum seems to recommend one of the following:
Palm T/X and Tungsten E2 (up to 4 Gb)
HP IPAQ (32 Mb and 256 Mb)
Dell Axim V51 (?)
I have also investigated software everyone recommended, each having varying technical requirements for processing speed and storage. Here are my preliminary functional requirements and I would like to get your input on which of the above PDAs might be best suited to meeting these requirements.
1) I do NOT want or need phone capabilities nor camera functionality. Camera functionality may be "banned" by the hospital due to HIPPA. Phone is not needed because I already have a cell phone and would not be using that while I am on the floors with patients. Most importantly, I do not want to be distracted.
2) I DO want to be able to download the software onto my laptop as well as the PDA to offer flexibility and backup capabilities. My laptop runs Windows XP, so I am thinking that the Windows Mobile OS would be more "user friendly" for this purpose (same operating environment, minimal learning curve).
3) I do NOT need email access.
4) I DO want internet access and I DO want to connect to my home wireless network (including all resources such as laptop hard drive and printer). Can I use WI-FI to connect to the internet as well as my home wireless network? Or, do I also need Bluetooth?
5) I DO want to be able to run the software on both laptop and PDA. This may be more a function of the software rather than the PDA - but I would like your opinion on ease of transfer from PDA to laptop and vice-versa.
I would like to use the PDA at the hospital to look up information while I am reviewing charts and make notes (preferably in MS Word). Then I can "sync" this information with my laptop at home. By having the capability to sync with my laptop, I would like to finish writing my care plans on my laptop (bigger screen) and print them before turning in to the Prof. I THINK I need Bluetooth in order to do this? Wi-Fi is not enough?
Thank you for any input you may have.