New grad can't find a job in Missouri.
- 0Jun 27, '11 by Michellebelle2011I live in central Missouri, just graduated in May from an ADN program. I have been applying like crazy to all kinds of nursing jobs and I've only got three interviews and no job offers. I am getting so discouraged and depressed. Friends and family keep asking me if I've found a job and I feel so ashamed that I have not found a job yet. I really thought I was going to get hired after my last interview but it has been almost a week and I have not got called back.....I feel like a loser. Everyone thinks it is so easy to find a job in the nursing field and people look at me weird when I tell them I haven't got a job yet. Anyone else in Missouri had this problem???? Any suggestions???? I don't know how many more interviews I can go to before I have absolutely no self-esteem left. I really feel like I have been interviewing well so I don't know what else to do, I can't magically gain a year of experience in order to get hired somewhere........someone must hire me in order for me to gain experience!!!!!
- 0Jun 27, '11 by ssperlI feel your pain. I live in the KC area and have been having the same problem since i graduated in December, up until last week I had only had 3 interviews. There are just no new grad positions available and everyone wants experienced nurses. I finally may have a break as i have 2 interviews this week, one at a maximum security prison and one at a small town ER. Good luck and keep your head up as this time will pass and jobs will start opening up sooner then you know,
- 0Jun 28, '11 by mama_dDon't be ashamed, there are plenty of people in the same situation as you are.
My hubby got laid off two years ago, and cannot find a job that pays enough to make it worthwhile...he has the disadvantage of not having a degree, and it's crushing any prospects of a decent-paying job. I'm at the point now that I'm looking for a PRN job to supplement since OT availibilty has gotten shaky, and can't seem to find anything near enough with gas prices like they are.
Good luck and keep your chin up.
- 0Oct 1, '11 by prepcubI hear you. In the KC area. I have gone on a few interviews and not gotten the job. I try to remember that I don't know who I am up against (they were internal, they worked there, they did clinicals there, they had a contact) and not take it personally. It's hard though. I think the markets are tough everywhere. I also am tired of hearing "what, you can't find a job? I thought there were tons..."
Hang in there. Know you aren't alone.
- 0Oct 5, '11 by ChinupBSNRNSeveral of my classmates from May are still job hunting as well. I keep my eye on the different hospitals and heads up them when I see stuff. Yep, Truman is new grad hiring. Deadline is Oct. 7th though. KU has some nurse entry jobs on their website. North KC Hospital will have some open by November 1st.
Keep your head up!! You are definitely not alone. :-)
- 0Oct 11, '11 by wetzooQuote from ChinupBSNRNIf you don't mind me asking, how did you hear that NKCH would have graduate nurse openings on the 1st? I know that they have openings now, but they're for internal applicants only.Several of my classmates from May are still job hunting as well. I keep my eye on the different hospitals and heads up them when I see stuff. Yep, Truman is new grad hiring. Deadline is Oct. 7th though. KU has some nurse entry jobs on their website. North KC Hospital will have some open by November 1st.
Thanks in advance.