Intro jobs in Labor & DeliveryRegister Today!
- by 4my2girls Jan 15, '09I would like to get a job in labor and delivery. I have no prior experience and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on where to work, and what jobs I should be looking for?
- Jan 16, '09 by misty63090I work in the newborn nursery at sjmh, and I know that the st.john's mercy medical center has a fellowship for new nurses called ''family focused care'' that is renowed. You get ''x'' amount of weeks with a preceptor, and ''x'' amount of hours in classroom time at sjmmc. I believe they teach you well baby/post-partum. I do not know if it covers l&d?? Hope this helps..........................
- Jan 18, '09 by WDWpixieRNSt. John's also has a L & D fellowship, but they mentioned during a tour of their facilities during a senior dinner that it's EXTREMELY intense. Keep that in mind, particularly if you have kids/spouse, other obligations.
I would also keep my eyes on St. Mary's website. Two friends that I were in school with were hired there recently. They are also apparently very new-grad friendly.
Best wishes!!Last edit by WDWpixieRN on Jan 19, '09
- Jan 19, '09 by BeccaznRNL&D jobs can be VERY competitive, so I would suggest that you apply to every job opening you see in L&D and be flexible in what position you will accept. Another route would be to apply for related specialties (such as postpartum, nursery, NICU, or OR) and slowly transition to a L&D position. I graduated from UMSL and came to work in California, my first RN job being in L&D. It was very difficult and intense. Not trying to discourage you at all, but know that it is a very stressful specialty to start out in as a new grad and competition is high for the few positions available. That being said, if you can get into any high-risk L&D unit (think any unit that has a level III NICU attached to it), it will serve you very well. Best of luck to you!
- Feb 22, '12 by mnpckls88I have heard of St. John's Mercy having a L&D fellowship.. but can someone direct me to where to apply for this on their website? I have searched forever and cannot find how/where to apply at. Thanks!