Application time to InterviewRegister Today!
- by SouthernComfort31 Feb 1, '09Does anyone know how far in advance hospitals in St. Louis interview new graduate nurses (as in how far in advance of their graduation dates). I graduate at an awkward time, and wonder if I'm applying to jobs too early or not early enought. Thanks.
Any recent grads, what have been your experiences?
- Feb 1, '09 by WDWpixieRNWe were told to start applying for jobs in January for our May grad date. If you graduate at an "awkward time", it's possible you won't need to apply so early as the competition won't be as fierce.
However, I'd suggest starting earlier rather than later. No doubt any facility that might be interested in you as a new grad will be happy to make a start date that works with your graduation timeline.
- Feb 2, '09 by SouthernComfort31Thanks for the advice. I have been applying early. I wonder if it's too early and they are sifting through those who graduate prior to me. I hope there aren't any new grad hiring freezes around St. Louis....
- Feb 3, '09 by WDWpixieRNI don't think so...read the online specifics for the jobs you are interested in....there are Fellowships through St. John's and BJC that are specific for new grads....I've also see "Graduate Nurse" listed in job descriptions for some positions I have seen -- recently.
- Feb 10, '09 by luvs2readlotsRNI agree with WDWpixie...I don't know when you graduate but if you're too early they will tell you(I started applying in August for December graduation). One hospital told me it was too soon, but another hired me for January start the first week of September.(In a job I now love!) Now, this week, that first hospital has called me back wanting to know if I'm still interested in a position...I had to tell them..."Well, I got hired a week after I first contacted you!". What's that old saying....he who hesitates is lost? LOL!
I would not only apply online, but I would follow it up with a phone call to a nurse recruiter. I did this everywhere I applied and had interviews scheduled within 10 days of applying on line. I ended up with 3 job offers and picked the one I wanted most. So I say, start early and you are more apt to be rewarded! GOOD LUCK!