Mayo Summer III 2013Register Today!
This is a discussion on Mayo Summer III 2013 in Minnesota State Nursing Programs, part of Minnesota Nursing ... Just thought I'd start a topic for this since I haven't seen one yet for this upcoming summer. ...by ChrisMarie09 Dec 28, '12Just thought I'd start a topic for this since I haven't seen one yet for this upcoming summer.
I finished applying a few weeks ago and now I'm starting to work on some other internship/externship apps. I hopeful I get accepted but also being realistic and keeping my options open.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=804676©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 14,248 Views
- Dec 28, '12 by Nursestudent14I applied to the same internship because I heard many excellent things about it. What area of speciality did you chose?
- Dec 29, '12 by MEHengHi I am also applying. I'm just wondering if there was a limit to how much we should write for the essays?
- Dec 31, '12 by WeldonaI am almost done applying! Just have to write my essays... Trying not to get my hopes up though
- Jan 1 by meghansnI also applied for this externship and am looking at others. I feel like my GPA is too low (it's not bad or anything, but I know Mayo looks for very high GPAs), so I hope my essays and outside experience help prove my case!
Good luck, everyone!
- Jan 2 by WeldonaThat is my biggest issue as well... I really hope they take into consideration more than just GPA
- Jan 3 by ChrisMarie09I put at least some level of interest for all of the specialty options except operating room. The last thing they need is the intern having a panic attack from the grinding sounds of bone saws. I'd like to either be in cardiac, ICU, bone marrow transplant, or peds but it's Mayo, and if I'm offered anything, I'll take it. For the essays I had about a page for the first question and two pages for the second.
Also, my GPA isn't where I'd like it to be but has jumped significantly since I transferred schools. I also have very limited health care experience (only volunteered for 2 years and I'm not a CNA) so I think if anything those two things will be my downfall.
- Jan 3 by studentpuut56I'm also applying! I was really confused about essay length so I emailed them and this is what they said:
Thank you for showing interest in the Summer III program here at Mayo Clinic. Essay questions will be mentioned in the "Summer III Nursing Externship" posting with no particular format/word count required. We do not interview for the program so applicants will need to see themselves in their essay responses.
The transcript must be attached to your online application so we prefer that we don’t receive official copies from the school or mailed in. A copy of an unofficial transcript is acceptable. The transcript is reviewed to verify that one semester of clinicals have complete and that you are enrolled for second semester clinicals along with the GPA. The second semester of clinical rotation(s) must be complete prior to the start of the Summer III program in June. Actual grades will not be a factored in the selection process. Please feel free to scan in your transcript and attach the scan document to your online application or copy it into a Word document. You will also want to attach your resume to your online application, a cover letter is not required.
As long as your BLS certificate says American Heart or Red Cross, you are welcome to answer that application question with a “Yes” as you will have it valid through August if renewed. However, you can wait until after our selection process has been done to pursue. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.
- Jan 5 by bohl9245Hello friends. I was a summer 3 last year and thought I could maybe jump on here and help out a bit They do grading and different aspects of the application for admission. Ex. the essay may be worth 5 points, GPA 5 points, experience 5 points........ I know that last year they gave full points to all gpa's over 3.75. I think this year your GPA counts as your score for that section. Consistent among most summer 3's last year was high gpa, volunteering, extra curricular activities, and some sort of medical experience. My essay was around 2 and a half pages. I always think quality over quantity is best. Include some of Mayo's history in your essays. Also, you have an option of submitting a cover letter. Most people I know included one : ) I will check back to see if there are any other questions. Hope this helped
- Jan 5 by MissRN2013I wish I read this before submitting my application! I think my essay answers were too short! Also, do you know how they add or subtract points for GPA? Thank you!