OCC - for Fall 2012 or Jan 2012 prospective students!
- 0Mar 17, '11 by WANT2BANURSESOONHi everyone! Okay so I decided to make a seperate thread for those of us seeing what our options are because we got the dreaded letter from OCC. It was getting hard to filter out the information pertinent to us in the general OCC thread.
I just want to tell everyone not to give up.
I had a meeting with a counselor yesterday, who basically assured me that any drastic changes made to OCC nursing admission policy could NOT be implemented in the very next admission cycle. He said that he had been a counselor for over 16 years, and the last time they made a drastic change (like from waitlist to gpa based) they grandfathered in everybody who would have been 'caught up' in the transition.
I had a 3.824 gpa. I had three classes that were not straight A's (An A- in both american government and english composition two, as well as the dreaded B in A&P 1). I am retaking all three and am going to seriousely aim for all A's. The gpa cutoff is gonna be a 3.9 something and I don't want to have to worry about not getting in again. I am going to do my best to get all A's.
I met with the counselor to discuss my options and see what to do at this point. I was considering going LPN but I don't think i'm going to do that anymore because my biggest aim is to get my RN as soon as possible. The LPN to RN transition program is only offerred every even year. What this means for us? If I were, for example to start the LPN program in January of 2012, it would be over in like March of 2013. Then I couldn't start the transition program until like July of 2014. Then I wouldn't be done with the transition program and have my RN until December of 2015! This versus the ADN RN program, which would start in the Fall of 2012 and finish in like early May of 2014.
Good luck to all of those still trying! We can't give up!!!!!
- 0Mar 29, '11 by brodygirlHi there!
I'm new to the board or at least posting on it. I didn't apply last year, still working on my final pre-req's, but will be applying this year for Fall 2012. I also met with a counselor at HL today in fact (I posted this on another OCC thread before I found this one). I have one B+ from an english comp 1 class eons ago that is messing up my perfect GPA, so I will be re-taking that this summer (along with government and nutrition) so that I can go into the application process with the highest GPA possible. Crazy, isn't it? Sounds like I don't need to tell you that. The counselor I saw today indicated that they probably would be changing the selection criteria- maybe dropping some pre-req's and possibly adding some, namely pathophys. She indicated she would suggest to them (whomever they are) that the changes not apply for those applying this Dec, but who knows what will happen. I think I might register for pathophys in the fall and drop it if it turns out I won't need it - you can only take it at auburn hills and last year they only had 1 section. She told me I could periodically email her to see if there's been any changes and she would respond, but I have to believe if they change anything there's going to have to be a pretty significant announcement - alot of people apply to the program every year, after all. Anyhow, if I hear anything I will post on this thread. Good luck to you!
- 0Mar 30, '11 by kizeemimiHi. I am a new "commenter" on here. I too am trying to get into OCC's 2012 program. I just met with a councelor at Orchard Ridge and he told me they are probably going to make it so that you can't re-take classes for a better grade, which would lower the GPA back down. I have only 1 "B" class to retake and I should have a 4.0 after that. Im a little frustrated because if I do that, I will have to take it this Summer 2 semester as I have to take A&P 2 in the Fall. (I dont want want to take them together and risk not getting an A in A&P.) Anyway, he said he doesnt know when this will go into effect. I hope its AFTER this last application cycle for 2012! I just transferred from Schoolcraft where Im waitlisted until 2014!!!!!! Its maddening! I just want to finish so I can be a nurse before there are no jobs left Good luck to both of you! Hopefully we'll be starting the 2012 program together.
- 0Mar 30, '11 by brodygirlHi Kizeemimi,
Wanted to share with you some info on A&P2. I'm taking it now at OR and have a great prof - not sure if she's ever taught at OR before or if she'll be on the schedule for fall but if she is, do everything you can to take her. Her last name starts with a T and she teaches the TR 1230 session. I've also heard of another great prof at AH, very common last name Sm***. Good luck to you!
- 0Mar 30, '11 by WANT2BANURSESOONThanks for the info everyone!
I sincerely hope they don't make the change of limiting repeats before the fall of 2012 class. That really isn't fair to people like me who didn't get in last year and don't know what to do EXCEPT retake classes! I mean that's really unfair, if I were to register and take classes over the summer and have them completely revamp their admission process for fall of 2012.
I do agree with everyone else, a counselor told me as well that any admission changes would probably not be for fall of 2012. But you never know
- 0Mar 31, '11 by kizeemimiThanks Brodygirl I wil look into that for sure!
As far as OCC revamping the program, I dont think its necessarily a bad thing, only because the GPA has really gotten ridiculously high. At the same time I think that if they do that they should put the info on it out a year in advance so everyone knows whats going on and doesnt waste time taking classes they dont need, etc.
- 0Mar 31, '11 by MarieFitzI also talked with a counselor this week and she seems to think that they will still go by GPA for 2012 but wasn't too sure. She said that they are definitely going to change the criteria after next fall. There was a possibility of them implementing the TEAS test and doing interviews but again she couldn't tell me for sure. Because I am retaking 2 classes this summer, she told me to go ahead and repeat them because no one knows for sure what is going to happen(Ugh!). If they change the process before 2012, I am going to be very upset.
- 0Mar 31, '11 by WANT2BANURSESOONQuote from MarieFitzI also talked with a counselor this week and she seems to think that they will still go by GPA for 2012 but wasn't too sure. She said that they are definitely going to change the criteria after next fall. There was a possibility of them implementing the TEAS test and doing interviews but again she couldn't tell me for sure. Because I am retaking 2 classes this summer, she told me to go ahead and repeat them because no one knows for sure what is going to happen(Ugh!). If they change the process before 2012, I am going to be very upset.
I know EXACTLY how you feel! I am going to be very upset if they change the process before 2012 as well. That being said, I don't think it's likely.
I spoke to a counselor the other day, and I brought up the exact same concerns. I have to retake three classes (two A-'s and a B, how terrible right lol). I brought up my concerns about them changing the requirements. While the counselor couldn't say for sure, he explained something to me.
Theoretically, people who didn't get in for Fall of 2011 could retake all their classes in summer I and submit an application to the nursing program right away. If they were going to make any changes for Fall of 2012, they would have to announce them before people resubmitted their apps right? This is what was told to me by a counselor.
He basically said that while he couldn't say for sure, it was highly unlikely that the program requirements would change for fall of 2012. For fall of 2013? Probably changes will be made by that time.
I know, it sucks to not know. But we can't go on 'hear-say', we can't just randomly take classes or exams like the TEAS when we have no idea what the changes may or may not be.
I was told to just retake the classes, cross your fingers and pray! lol.
- 2Apr 15, '11 by brodygirlLast night I went to a nursing info session at HL. Both the guidance counselor and the Dean of nursing stated that while requirements (or at least selection criteria) will be changing in the future, they will not change for those applying in Dec 2011 for fall 2012 - so there you go. Just get all A's and you'll likely get in. Also, they said that for fall 2011 class they had 40 4.0's.
- 0Apr 16, '11 by kizeemimiThanks for the update! Thats good to know. Im wondering what the next GPA cut off will be? This last one was 3.88 (which I have now.) I have 4 classes to take (one is a re-do,) and if I get 4.0's in all of them I will have a 3.94 overall. Im wondering if that will be high enough? I refuse to re-take any more classes. I just dont have the money or the time. But it seems like the last few years the GPA cut off has gone something like: 3.66, 3.77, 3.88. Those arent exact but the councelor told me something like that. Im wondering if that means the GPA will be around 3.99 next time?