OCC - for Fall 2012 or Jan 2012 prospective students! - Page 14Register Today!
- Hi Everyone,
Can anyone tell me if we are allowed to use calculator for math portion in dosage calculations? Thanks in advance.
- Hi everyone got my packet today.. so guys please check your mail boxes.... tons to do....
- Mar 27, '12 by princessim2003Thank's sv99 for the heads up. I'm stuck at work until 6:45P, boo!! I hope my packet came todayLast edit by princessim2003 on Mar 27, '12
- Mar 27, '12 by wendyyvonneHi everyone!
sv99, yes, you can use a basic calculator (no programming, no smartphone calcs, etc.) for med calculations throughout the program.
BTW, congratulations to all of you! As a first-year student with a bit more than three months remaining before summer break, I was in your shoes this time last year. It's a great feeling knowing you're in, isn't it?
Brace yourselves! The program is doable, but A LOT of work.
Enjoy the summer! And, again, congrats!
- Hi Wendyyvonn,
Thanks a lot for encouraging words.You must be second year student now. Would love to get any tips you have for acing this program. I am happy that we can use the calculators. Please advise on how to well in pharmacology class... I am taking it in summer.
- Mar 27, '12 by wendyyvonneHi again, sv99!
Pharmacology requires a lot of memorizing. For each of the umpteen drugs you'll be tested on, you'll need to know their generic and trade names, their drug classes, their modes of action, their side effects, and their nursing implications.
So, my suggestion would be to figure out your best way of memorizing a large quantity of information and stick with it; i.e., do what works for you. Some people use flashcards. Others write the info over and over. I've heard of some people listening to lecture over and over, even while sleeping. Still, other uses mnemonic devices, like ACRONYMS (my method). You can find some pharmacological acronyms by searching this site; you'll find plenty more doing an open Google search.
I spent a lot of time reading tips and tricks on this site before I began the program. I felt this particular article was particularly helpful: http://allnurses.com/nursing-article...ve-532725.html.
HTH and best of luck!
- Thank you very much wendyyvonne.
- Mar 27, '12 by B316Thanks for the tips wendyyvonne! I got my packet today! i'm so excited and can't wait to meet all of you.
- Mar 29, '12 by brodygirlWith packet in hand, it dawns on me that this is, indeed, all really happening. I knew once we recv'd our acceptance letters we'd be bombarded with all the forms, tests, yada yada, but this is so overwhelming! I signed up for the 4/14 CPR session through OCC (schedule was included in our packet). I figured it would be best to get it done ASAP. I called the bookstore yesterday but they do not yet have the syllabus for 1290. I did, however, order my books from half. I'm so afraid I'm going to forget something. Guess I'd better sign up for the twitter thing!
- Mar 29, '12 by sv99Hi Wendyyvonne,
Can you advise how to study the pharm text as the syllabus will be availabel only mid April. Should i go chapterwise or is there any other method? Since I have extra two weeks of time may as well use it. Thanks in advance. I am also practicing the math problems given on occ website,hoping it would help me.