Jackson Community College in Michigan Fall 2011
- 0Mar 29, '11 by MelBell2005Hi! I was wondering if anyone was planning on applying to the ADN program at Jackson Community College in May for fall of 2011. I am just finishing up one pre-requisite and I have to take the HESI exam in May and then fill out the application with the advisor in May. Also, if any current or past students who attended JCC's program had any information to add.
- 5,883 Visits
- 0May 24, '11 by MelBell2005Hi! I just filled out the application today with the advisor and I am taking the HESI in a couple of weeks. Do you know how many points you need to be competitive? I was just curious. The advisor really wouldn't say. Does fall semester start in August then? I am sure the program keeps a person very busy! Can you work part time during the program? I heard from most students to not work if you don't have to.
- 0May 25, '11 by anne11When I applied 90 points was a good number to have. However they have changed the admission process since then, so I really can't say. I think it starts in August. About working, there are a lot of young students in my class and most of them work at least part time. I think that if you are single , without kids, it would be easier to work. To do this though, I think you need to be very good at time management and have good study habits. I thought the first semester was the most challenging, especially if you have no CNA experience. A lot of time is spent in the lab and you need to learn a lot of skills in a short amount of time. Good luck!
- 0May 25, '11 by MelBell2005I kind of figured I needed that many points to be competitive. You are right they did change the point system a little bit, and I think I would have gotten more with the old system. Plus I lost points in Area III because I had a W. I should have realized that would have hurt me before I applied. I tried any way, but I don't think I will get in. I took a CNA class before and I worked as a nurses aid for a couple of years, so I think that will help. Also, my pre-req grades were good besides this humanities course I took over 10 years ago. I guess I could have re-took a B course, but it would have hurt me in Area III points, so I don't think I had a chance for JCC. I am going to get on Schoolcraft college's waitlist and I am thinking of applying to LCC for fall 2012. They made changes to their point system which I think gives me a better chance to be competitive.
Thank for your helpful information! Congratulations on almost being done! I bet you are excited to be close to finishing up.
- 0May 25, '11 by MelBell2005Thanks for the encouragement anne11! I just wish I would have read over the point system more before I applied. My point total was really less than the 85 or 90 pts. I even told the advisor that my point total was low. Her response back to me was, it's not bad that I'm some where in the middle. I can wait and see what hapens! I can stay positive, but I wouldn't be surprised if I get a rejection letter in the mail. I at least have another plan in mind. Will you be done this summer?
- 0Jun 13, '11 by MelBell2005Hi! The HESI went good! The review book helped with the math and english components. The HESI isn't really timed either. I hope a miracle hapens and I have a chance to get into JCC with my point total, but I won't be surprised if I don't though. I just counted a low humanities course from over 10 years ago and I should have taken a new course. Plus in the one section of the app I had a W, so that hurt me. All I can do is stay positive and have another plan if JCC doesn't work out. I wish you good luck too when you apply!
- 0Jun 15, '11 by hudsont2207Thanks! Good luck to you too, I thought about looking at LCC since it's probably the next closest place to where I live. I am applying for both the RN and LPN program just in case, that way if I get into the LPN program it can just finish up the remaining classes in the LPN to RN. I'm praying I'll get into at least one of them! Thanks for the info on the HESI, I have the review book, I'll have to sit down with it when I'm finished with me class this semester. Again, good luck!!