Job Interview Etiquette

  1. Hello,
    I need help (again). How do you notify a potential employer (who have hired you) if another offer came ( one that you like better)? Here's my situation.....I graduated in May and came June I started working in in the Telemetry unit at a hospital close by, I worked there as a graduate nurse (IPN-RN) until mid-August ( I failed the board ). After failing ther board my DON offered me a Tech position while I study (again) for the board but I did not accept it because I felt like I needed to concentrate ( Thank God I did ) so what my DON did she placed me on hold until I get my license and told me that she will rehire me once I got it. I retook the board in Nov and passed. I immediately notified my DON and she rehired me but I have not started yet because I have to go through processing again. Now my situation is I went to apply at another hospital (to check them out and to see if they have a better offer for me) and on the spot I was hired. It's a med-surg floor, 1:5 ratio, with sign on bonus, day shift (3 12 hours), 3 months floor orientation with a preceptor, and a closing cost assistance when buying a house/relocation.....of course this is what I really want especially day shift. The other hospital ( where I worked) did not have any of these incentives plus the ratio is 8-9:1 and night shift. I am really considering the 2nd hospital (med-surg vs. tele) but I feel bad for I feel that the 1st hospital already spent time and money on me (working there for 2 months) and the fact that they rehired me after taking a few months leave. Can someone help me how to notify the first hospital about my decision.....I don't know how to tell them, I don't want this hospital to think of me as a flaker or unreliable. I don't want them to put on my record or file "NOT ELIGIBLE FOR REHIRE" (you know just incase it didn't work out on the other hospital and I reapply at the first hospital or maybe get a per diem or part time job there in the future). Please help..................
    •  
  2. 10 Comments

  3. by   grinnurse
    I think that you should be honest with the first hospital about your plans and the sooner the better. Glad that you got the "perfect" job and good luck with the new position.
  4. by   FreshRN05
    Quote from grinnurse
    I think that you should be honest with the first hospital about your plans and the sooner the better. Glad that you got the "perfect" job and good luck with the new position.
    Thanks for the reply.I actually thought this over today with my husband and I decided that after my appointment with the 2nd hospital (HR for processing) tomorrow and their offer is in black and white (official) I will go to the 1st hospital to personally tell them (HR and my DON) that I have considered # 2's offer. I just hope that they will understand my decision and that I will not give them a bad impression of me. #2 hospital's pay is about $1.50 less per hour but I'm more interested in the day shift position and the fact that they offer 3 months orientation and the ratio is less compared to hospital #1. Yeah $1.50 more sounds tempting but I'm more into getting what fits me and my family. Do you think this will be a valid reason to turn down hospital #1's offer??? I actually am scheduled to go to employee health at hospital #1 tomorrow as well for my health work up (2 pm) but I will let them know of my decision prior to 2pm ( I didn't want to tell them now because I wanna make sure first that hospital #2's offer is in writing.....I don't wanna end up losing both offers).
  5. by   hbncns35
    Hi There,

    I am a daughter of a veteran headhunter who taught me plenty in job situations. This is the advice that she would give: Make sure you have your preliminary job offer in writing from Job #2 before talking to Job #1. When talking to Job #1 give them the specifics of Job #2. Often you will find Job#1 doing their best to match Job#2 if they feel you are a valuable employee. They do not want to train someone vs. someone who has 2 mos. experience. Let them know you have this offer but that you have not accepted yet. Even tell Job #2 you need 1-2 days to think about it (that's reasonable) Use your negotiating skills with Job #1. See what they offer then make decision. Whichever one you choose they will know they lost a good employee. I had this problem with 3 job offers last summer. Got the one that I wanted and on my own terms on my own time. Sometimes you have to play them against each other, keep them at bay, give yourself time and get more than you ever imagined. Good luck - HB
  6. by   rn/writer
    I strongly agree with the above post.

    Whatever you do, be above board and courteous. And DO make sure you have the other job offer in writing. The last thing you want to do is end up with nothing.

    Go to the DON at hospital #1. Thank her for her help and support. Then tell her about the other job offer. Say that because she was considerate, you wanted to give her a chance to meet the other offer, but that you will understand if she can't. This shows that you are playing fair but also thinking practically. Then, the determining factor becomes what each job provides--not whether you are a nice person or not. (Only do this if you WOULD take the job at hospital #1 if they DID match the offer.) (Oh, and don't come across as apologetic. That implies that you think you're doing something wrong, which you certainly are not.)

    If, indeed, you do end up taking that second offer, please, please, please write the DON a thank you letter stressing that you think highly of her and appreciate what you have learned from her. You can also leave the door slightly open by saying that, although you won't be currently be working at her facility, you would be happy to have your paths cross again someday. Don't lay it on too thick. Just let her know that you were grateful for the opportunities she extended to you and that you consider her a friend. It's hard to think ill of someone who says that they think kindly of you. And if she's at all honest, she'll have to admit to herself that she probably would have done the same thing.

    I wish you well.
  7. by   FreshRN05
    Quote from rn/writer
    I strongly agree with the above post.

    Whatever you do, be above board and courteous. And DO make sure you have the other job offer in writing. The last thing you want to do is end up with nothing.

    Go to the DON at hospital #1. Thank her for her help and support. Then tell her about the other job offer. Say that because she was considerate, you wanted to give her a chance to meet the other offer, but that you will understand if she can't. This shows that you are playing fair but also thinking practically. Then, the determining factor becomes what each job provides--not whether you are a nice person or not. (Only do this if you WOULD take the job at hospital #1 if they DID match the offer.) (Oh, and don't come across as apologetic. That implies that you think you're doing something wrong, which you certainly are not.)

    If, indeed, you do end up taking that second offer, please, please, please write the DON a thank you letter stressing that you think highly of her and appreciate what you have learned from her. You can also leave the door slightly open by saying that, although you won't be currently be working at her facility, you would be happy to have your paths cross again someday. Don't lay it on too thick. Just let her know that you were grateful for the opportunities she extended to you and that you consider her a friend. It's hard to think ill of someone who says that they think kindly of you. And if she's at all honest, she'll have to admit to herself that she probably would have done the same thing.

    I wish you well.
    Thank you very much for the great reply. Although I am considering job #2, I'm still opening the possibility that job #1 will try to match the other offer. My demand is simple, DAY SHIFT. I just really feel bad about turning them down because they waited for me ( I think) and reconsidered me after passing the board. When I was still working as a Grad Nurse at job #1, I tried asking for a day shift but I was told a couple of times that there was no opening for day shift in our department and then I asked the HR if I could transfer to another unit that had day shift opening but I was told that I have to wait 6 months in order to do a departmental transfer but I only worked for 2 months because of me failing the board the first time. So during the time that I was off work, I kept in touched with my DON and asked her if she will rehire me when I get my license and she said yes that's why I immediately notified her when I passed the board. She rehired me and now I'm in processing (background check, employee health...I have to start over with the processing and also those 2 months that I worked weren't counted towards my lenght of employment)..I again asked for a day shift but my DON said no opening and HR said I have to do my 6 months in Tele before I can transfer...So, even though I accepted the night shift with job #1, I went ahead and tried applying at job #2 to see if they have a better offer which they did. I am just frustrated that I got stuck in this situation. I don't want to lose both opportunities. Now when I notify job #1 of my decision, should I go directly to the HR or should I talk to the DON first???
  8. by   rn/writer
    Quote from FreshRN05
    Thank you very much for the great reply. Although I am considering job #2, I'm still opening the possibility that job #1 will try to match the other offer. My demand is simple, DAY SHIFT. I just really feel bad about turning them down because they waited for me ( I think) and reconsidered me after passing the board. When I was still working as a Grad Nurse at job #1, I tried asking for a day shift but I was told a couple of times that there was no opening for day shift in our department and then I asked the HR if I could transfer to another unit that had day shift opening but I was told that I have to wait 6 months in order to do a departmental transfer but I only worked for 2 months because of me failing the board the first time. So during the time that I was off work, I kept in touched with my DON and asked her if she will rehire me when I get my license and she said yes that's why I immediately notified her when I passed the board. She rehired me and now I'm in processing (background check, employee health...I have to start over with the processing and also those 2 months that I worked weren't counted towards my lenght of employment)..I again asked for a day shift but my DON said no opening and HR said I have to do my 6 months in Tele before I can transfer...So, even though I accepted the night shift with job #1, I went ahead and tried applying at job #2 to see if they have a better offer which they did. I am just frustrated that I got stuck in this situation. I don't want to lose both opportunities. Now when I notify job #1 of my decision, should I go directly to the HR or should I talk to the DON first???
    Seems like you should go to the DON. HR only follows management's leads. Besides, you have had personal contact with the DON. If working days is your most important benchmark, be up front about that and see if it makes a difference. She may not have anything to offer you. Or she may be leery of giving you a day shift spot when others have been waiting and skipping over them might create hostility toward both of you.

    All you can do is lay your cards on the table. You aren't trying to trick anyone into doing something they can't. You are trying to find a job that is compatible with the rest of your life. Many new nurses have to wait a long time for a day shift spot. If you have the chance for one sooner, do what you need to do.

    The most important thing with the DON is to be honest, appreciative (stay gracious, even if she gets a bit snarky with you), and strong in your own skin. Based on the information you have offered, you have nothing to feel guilty about. You are only trying to find a position that works for you.

    Let us know what happens.
  9. by   hbncns35
    Hi,

    I would go to the DON first and settle things there. She probably has "pull" with HR and does most of the decisions with their support. Most HR's leave it up to the DON. Explain to DON that you have not made a decision yet but that this other offer has offered dayshift which is what you are looking for. Your DON may just encourage you to take it if it is a better offer she just can't match. Make sure you tell her that if for some reason it does not work out with Job #2 you will be on your way back to her. That way you can tell if she thinks highly of you enough to reconsider you at a later date. These things happen all the time. Please do not feel that you "owe" her anything just because she waited for you. She will wait again for you if things do not work out with Job #2 because it is hard to find good people. You will not lose either offer if you play your cards right. Keep Job #2 waiting (1-2 days) while you either reconfirm Job #1 or let it go. Nice to be wanted in two places, Don't ya think? Oh and make sure you tell Job#1 you have to get back to Job #2 very soon and give them an answer. That way they will not drag their feet...........................You will do well and you will get what you want. Don't make it personal, they probably aren't. Heather
  10. by   FreshRN05
    Ok....I just wanna update you all about what happened today...at 10AM today I went to hospital #2 to start my processing and health work up...Prior to finishing all the employment papers I asked the HR about the bonus and relocation/closing cost assistance they offer....I found out that I will have to be commited to them for 2 years if I choose to get these incentives ($1500 sign on bonus, $1000 relocation, and up to $7000 closing cost assistance/mortgage)...It sounded good but 2 years commitment???? Hmmmmm...something to think about coz what if it didn't work out or what if I realize later that the job is not for me???? Then I also decided to contact the Medical-Surgical floor and talked to one of the RN's there asked them about the nurse-patient ratio (1:5)...I wanted to make clear that I'm only responsible for 5 patients of my own (total care) then I was told by the RN that eventhough they do not do team nursing in the unit the patients that are assigned to the LPN's in the unit are also our responsibility ( for piggybacks such as IV antibiotics...LPN's do their own assesments)(say if the LPN has 5 patients, 3 of those patient will be assigned to me as an RN on top of the 5 that I already have...so in short I will have between 5-8 patients)...Hmmmnnnnn....again something to think about....
    So, after my 10 AM I went to hospital #1 to notify the HR/DON of my situation....well as soon as they found out that I have been offered a position at hospital #2....3 day shifts immediately layed infront of me....I ended up interviewing..one position was float pool ( I declined) simply because I feel like I don't want to be going to work not knowing where I will be placed that day; second position was Med-Surg/Psych unit sounded good but DON was prefering an experienced RN with 2-3 years acute care experience; then last one was a new unit that hospital #1 is opening..it's a med-surg/tele type of unit where they take care of ER overflow or it's kinda like a waiting area ( maximum time patient can stay is 24 hours then they get transferred to the appropriate floor or discharge home) the responsibility is mainly on admission/assesment, teaching, discharge planning and stabilizing the patients until transferred...Have you guys heard of this type of unit? It's a new unit, it will be opened last week of this month or first week of Feb. Patient-nurse ratio is 1:5 with (RN and CNA...no LPN's)..Day shift.. 14 beds...When I heard of this I got ineterested and it sounded like it's something I want to do....What do you guys think? I really thought that after today I will have made a decision already...The only consolation I feel right now is the fact that no matter what I chose, I know I'm gonna end up with one ( oh, hospital #1 also said that whatever I decide they will respect they just want to give me other options that might work better for me...and she even told me that she's greatful that I came to talk to her personally to address this concern..she said some applicanst will just call her to decline)...Tomorrow HR at hospital #1 will call me to tell me exactly when I will start ( or when the unit will be officially opened coz I told her I need to know by Friday because hospital #2's new grad orientation starts on Monday and plus I have to make day care arrangements)...I'm so stressed......but good stress this time..........thank you all for hearing my dilemma and helping me out with my decision..I really appreciate it!
    Last edit by FreshRN05 on Jan 5, '06
  11. by   hbncns35
    Hi Again -

    There are posts to that type of unit on The First Year of Nursing section.
    It sounds like you are still oscillating as to which position you want. Write out the pros and cons of each job offer so you can see it clearly. I am sure you will make the right decision that fits you best. Good Luck!!!HB
  12. by   FreshRN05
    Quote from hbncns35
    Hi Again -

    There are posts to that type of unit on The First Year of Nursing section.
    It sounds like you are still oscillating as to which position you want. Write out the pros and cons of each job offer so you can see it clearly. I am sure you will make the right decision that fits you best. Good Luck!!!HB
    Hi,
    I really thought the stress is over ( nursing school and board exam)...Sheeshhhhh.....Oh, the many opportunities of nursing....You are right, I'm still oscillating as to which one I will take and I'm so stressed because I want to make sure that I pick the right one......So many "what if's" going on in my head. I have done doing the pros and cons and somehow both positions leveled.........I'm so gearing towards med-surg but I'm sooooo scared...actually I'm more scared of being chewed by the more experienced nurses that I will be working with and also the patients family members....I am the "YES MA'AM" type of person.............I rally appreciate all your (all of you) replies.....

close