Heparin DripRegister Today!
- by JamieSueRN Jan 4, '12Can someone tell me how long it takes a PTT level to return to normal after stopping a heparin drip? Thanks!
- Jan 4, '12 by CrazyCatLadyRNI'm not sure about the exact time frame, but probably a good bit, since while on the drip it is going to be quite high to be therapeutic. They always have to be put on coumadin or lovenox once the drip is stopped too. So their coag levels are going to be prolonged.
- Jan 4, '12 by Been there,done thatThe half-life of Heparin is 4 hours, so the PTT responds accordingly. However, there are many variables that affect the bio-availability.
Consult pharmacy and your facility's policy.
If anti-coagulation needs to continue this can be veerry tricky.
- Jan 16, '12 by leigh_86usI have a piggy-back question. Our heparin protocol has scheduled times for lab draws, but shouldn't you be timing the labs from when you physically change the dose on the pump for best results? We were discussing it the other night, and some people say just stick with the pre-scheduled times.
- Jan 16, '12 by turnforthenurseRNQuote from leigh_86usWe have a heparin protocol that states when the assay should be drawn...typically Q6H until therapeutic, unless the patient is supratherapeutic and the drip needs to be turned off for an hour or something (per protocol), then we do a stat heparin assay level within one hour. In our computer, the labs aren't prescheduled...we get our heparin assay result, do whatever is necessary based on the protocol, and then put in the order for the next heparin level. We always put them in as a "timed study" instead of routine, that way lab draws them during the correct time.I have a piggy-back question. Our heparin protocol has scheduled times for lab draws, but shouldn't you be timing the labs from when you physically change the dose on the pump for best results? We were discussing it the other night, and some people say just stick with the pre-scheduled times.
- Jan 17, '12 by WeepingAngelThat's a good way of doing it. Ours are entered as either routine or stat, but we can put in a specific time for the lab to be drawn.
- Feb 16, '12 by NataliaRNI believe the half life of a heparin drip ranges between 1-2 hours....LMWH heparin has a half life of 4-5 hours give or take.