Welcome nurses from Massachusetts! - Page 4Register Today!
- Sep 8, '03 by KayleshHiya Folks,
Im a RN,went to school in Mass and graduated in Mass. Worked for many years as Med/Surg/Telem RN. Have been working and living here in Scotland since July 99... Love it here in Scotland and love to keep up with whats going on back in Mass. via the site and lots of other Nursing sites as well.
- Sep 10, '03 by Mint JulipWow, I would give my right arm to be able to live in europe. Scotland must be beautiful. I saw a program about it a while back and the people that were interviewed mentioned how it is frequently cold and rainy? What is nursing like there? Are things done in a similar fashion as here in the states?
- Sep 11, '03 by KayleshHiya Mint,
Yep Scotland is beautiful. It does rain but not as much as folks think. Some areas of Scotland get more rain than others. It also is generally cooler than Mass.. We don't get the flucuations here that happen in Mass. Winters aren't bloody freezing below zero.. Don't get much snow.. It does get cold and does get below zero but not to the extreme that it can in Mass.
In summer it never gets as hot and humid here as Mass.. It can get into the low 80F but generally has been in the 70s F this summer . Again that temperature can depend on where in the country you live.. Up NorthEast of Scotland up in Aberdeen. where i was before i moved closer to Edinburgh it was colder and rained more often..
Nursing is differeant here.. Nurses overall don't have as much responsibility for the patient that I had in Mass.. At least that is the case where i worked.
Im now doing clinical research nursing running drug trials and such.. It is interesting but not what i really want to to so im currently looking for another job.
Feel free to ask away..
- Sep 13, '03 by Mint JulipI'm green with envy Kay! I have wanted to go to europe for a very long time. Hopefully we'll get around to it in the near future.
How did you adjust when you got there? It must of been a challenge adjusting to a new nursing culture. What drew you to Scotland if you don't mind me asking? Do you have the same problems in nursing that we do here such as staffing issues, mandatory overtime etc.?
- Sep 13, '03 by KayleshAye same issues.. Pay is horrendous here compared to the US.. staff shortages are everywhere..lots of similar issues here as well.. Not sure if that is country wide or just the large teaching hospital i worked at.. Definately was strange getting used to how things are done over here..
My family heritage brought me here. :-).. I'd been to Scotland on holidays to differant areas..
My gran was born here in Scotland and her love of the country was born into me i think.. I feel soo at home here.. Don't get me wrong there are things i miss about the US.. but I thoroughly enjoy living here and wouldn't give it up for anything..
Again feel free to ask questions . I don't mind answering:zzzzz getting tired now. just came off nights.. So i'll close this now befor e i start blabbering nonsense lol
- Sep 13, '03 by Mint JulipI guess nursing is tough all around. My mom's side of the family is half and half (Scotch/Irish). Never been to either place though. Thanks for the replies Kay. Appreciate itLast edit by Mint Julip on Sep 13, '03
- Dec 21, '03 by huganurse524Hi everybody,
I am fairly new to this board. I have lived in mass all my life. I currently live in New Bedford and am a new LPN. I work on a general rehab floor. Hope everyone has a happy holiday and a safe new year.
- Dec 21, '03 by adreamcometrueHi everyone,
I'm a new LPN, too. Live just outside Boston. First job was in rehab. Had 3 weeks of "orientation", then I was expected to carry out same patient load as everyone else (8 patients). Left after 2 months...was NOT a good situation, at all.
Now I'm starting with Hospice and, so far, I LOVE IT :roll. Kaylesh, I am so with you in Scotland. Both sides of the family are from Scotland. Went home to the "motherland" 10 years ago, and have been aching to go back ever since....
- Dec 23, '03 by efiebkeThank you for your responses!
May you all have a safe and peaceful Holiday Season!
- Dec 27, '03 by MickyB-RNAnyone else in western mass?>>
Western MA here. :-)