Anyone working in Baystate or Berkshire Medical Center?Register Today!
- by grahamd01 May 28, '12I'm a new grad trying to find a job in these facilities or nearby. Anyone have any advice? I've submitted resume's to both places and search everyday online for new postings.
BMC seems very difficult to get into? No new postings....EVER. Any advice how to break the ice into that hospital?
- May 28, '12 by Esme12Sadly...the job market stinks right now. I hear Worcester have openings....but that is a drive. For MA I have found monster particularly helpful in the job search arena.
I wish you the best.
- May 28, '12 by y.romaI'm working at Baystate Franklin and they do have some new grad offerings--they're not all posted! Best bet is to apply online and maybe walk into HR with your resume and cover letter. Also, Baystate Medical Center (Springfield) is hiring! A friend of mine (ADN) just got a job in the hospital of the future. So, again, apply! And good luck!
- Jun 4, '12 by wmassnurseI was in the same position as you last May - applying everywhere and getting nowhere. I applied to Berkshire Medical Center (BMC) even though there weren't many openings listed. Finally I decided to be more proactive and contacted HR (Brooke B) to get things moving. I scored an interview and was hired on the spot as a temporary float. This meant for 6 months I was guaranteed 32 hours per week floating everythwere in the hospital except the ICU, PACU, and ED. It was nerve-wracking knowing that after 6 months there might be a sharp decline in my weekly schedule, but everything worked out. The key is to be proactive, focused, and polite and you won't go wrong.
Before my 6 month trial was over I was able to take a tele course paid for by the hospital, and was then offered a job in the ED where I am now working and loving it! I guess the moral to this long drawn out story (haha) is call Brooke yourself, explain who you are and what you're looking for in a career, and hopefully things wil work out as well for you as they did for me. I didn't have any connections to the hospital at all and moved out to Pittsfield by myself. It truly is an amazing place to work, unlike any of the 5 hospitals I had clinicals in (including Baystate). Good Luck!!!
- Jun 6, '12 by grahamd01wmassnurse-
I finally got tired of the 'waiting game' and interestingly enough I got a phone call from ***** last week! I submitted a resume to her back in March and spoke to her briefly about her recommendations for potential openings. I didn't want to keep calling her, but I guess she kept me on the back burner and I went for an interview last friday! I think it went really well! Its for a float per diem position and she said I'd definatly get 30 hours a week if I needed it (which I desperately do). She left me a message yesterday to discuss the interview.....so i'll call her today and see what the next step is....
Thannks for your reply. I was worried about this type of position, but any offering is better than none. BMC was my first choice to work at. Hopefully I'll be as successful as you!
Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated!!!Last edit by Silverdragon102 on Jun 9, '12 : Reason: name removed as per Terms of Service
- Jun 6, '12 by wmassnurseThat's so awesome congratulations!! You'll have no trouble getting hours while per diem, especially since summer is starting up. I was worried too before starting to float, but everyone was so accommodating and inviting, and you'll learn so much! It'll look great on a resume too because you'll be working on such a variety of floors. Good luck, if you ever need anything or have questions let me know
- Jun 6, '12 by grahamd01Unfortunatly, my test date for NCLEX is July 21 so I cannot start orientation until August. **** told me to keep her informed and to most likely proceed in August.
Do you feel like I'll still be needed as much by then? I certainly hope so. I'm really bummed as I know the summer time is the best time to start. I also am hoping that she keeps me in mind and even if that position fills that maybe another will be available. Its quite difficult to get in there.
Thanks for replying. I hope to join you soon at BMC.Last edit by Silverdragon102 on Jun 9, '12 : Reason: name removed
- Jun 11, '12 by wmassnurseI would assume so. Especially since you've already had an interview, you're "on her list" so to speak and it sounds like she's going to keep you in mind. Good luck!
- Jun 13, '12 by grahamd01thanks, I hope so.