UMSON, Fall 2012...is NO ONE applying?! :) :)
- 0Am I in the wrong place?? I would think that there would be a lot of chatter with the deadline being tomorrow!
I am sure there are oodles applying. Now...where is everyone?!
- 0Jan 31, '12 by oldmareI am! I am! And absolutely terrified I won't get in ...
I applied to the Shady Grove campus. I just attended one of their info sessions (Last one I attended was a few years back, when I was still doing prereqs). Admissions person leading the session was very helpful, said: it's tougher to get into Shady Grove than Baltimore because there are fewer spots (about 44 vs. 70 in Baltimore) and that Fall is more difficult to get into than spring.
She also said that she believed nearly ever graduate of Spring 2011 got a job, many through their senior practicum sites.
I'm second-guessing every aspect of my application. I guess there's nothing to do but sit back and wait for 8-10 weeks ... we won't hear until end of march or early April
- 0Jan 31, '12 by leenakThere is another thread right below yours
There was another thread sometime ago as well. Due to the fact that I'd have to retake chem, I didn't have enough science classes to apply although I would've been done with pre-reqs by the Fall. So I'm just applying to JHU. If I don't get into, I'm going to apply to UM Shady Grove for the spring.
- 0I am a Baltimore applicant with only a "C" in A&P II (plans of retaking in summer) and am currently in Statistics. My TEAS was just okay , and frankly, I don't feel as if I am a great essay writer...so that worries me immensely! I am rather depressed as I am getting a bit up there in age (now 40) and this school stuff isn't going to get any easier
Nothing I can really do now but wait. What's done is done. If I am turned down, then I try again. The past year was EXTREMELY taxing on me, so if I have made it through that...I can do darn near anything now
- 0Quote from bcandygurlI did see that, but I believe her last reply stated that she worded her original post incorrectly. I think she was asking about Maryland (the state) students in generalYou are not alone..there is another post for Fall 2012 hopefuls..but it has been pretty dry....I have finally completed my application and I'm just waiting to get results back!!! Is anyone else planning on continuing working throughout the program?
- 0Feb 1, '12 by oldmareLeenak, what are your thoughts on the cost of JHU? It seems super expensive but maybe you got a sense from admissions that scholarships are plentiful? I also applied there and I know it's an amazing school, but I can't wrap my head around the cost. I wouldn't qualify for financial aid.
- 0Feb 1, '12 by leenakHopkins doesn't require Chem but they also don't require '2 lab sciences' at the time of application. One of the students I talked to at the open house for Hopkins had only 2 pre-reqs done at the time of application. I have 4 pre-reqs done right now but only 1 of those is a lab science. I didn't realize that my old chemistry (I took a year of chem previously) would not count as one of my lab sciences . There just wasn't a way for me to get in another lab science by the application due date so I have to wait until Spring to apply. It is a shame because Shady Grove is about 5 miles away from me so it would been nice
As for Hopkins cost, they are expensive but it does look like there are scholarships available based on your interests, your financial need and your academic record. Between my current salary (which will go to 0 when I start school) and my husband's salary, we don't have a financial need at least for the first year. The financial officer at Hopkins said we still might but I have my doubts. So I've been saving up for it.
What I like about Hopkins is their 'no nurse left behind' policy in that they work to make sure everyone succeeds and also their focus on the underserved populations. Now that is something I'm not sure I'd get at Shady Grove because well its Montgomery county. Not to say there aren't people in need here but Baltimore seems to have much more and those of a much greater need. Of course the answer to that would be to just go to UMD Baltimore but that would be a harder sell to my husband who would just tell me to go to Shady grove since it is there.