Retake A&P to get RN?Register Today!
- by lauranurselaura May 24, '12Hi All,
Apologies if this has already been discussed to death.
Because I took my A&P classes over 10 years ago, I need to repeat them in order to be able to apply to the LPN to RN program. I also need to repeat a computer class as well due to its age.
My initial reaction to this news was NO WAY. A&P is not easy and I successfully passed them the first time. I really, really, really don't want to retake those classes! (The computer class retake .. fine. whatever.)
What do you guys think?
Obviously, my ultimate dream is to become an RN and has been for quite some time, however, just the thought of repeating these classes makes me angry and disheartened.
I understand that anything you want badly enough, you'll do anything to get. So, I think I already know what you guys are going to say. I guess I'm just looking for a "you're not alone, I had to retake a bunch of classes too and it was worth it" response.
So.. anyone else out there or did you just say, "ahhh, forget it!" ?
- May 24, '12 by Adri :)I didn't retake mine and they were 7 years old. I only applied at schools that waved the requirements through testing or did not have a time limit requirement.
- May 24, '12 by malenurseFlMost colleges only allow the science to remain valid for 5 years. I'd take it again
- May 25, '12 by lauranurselauraThanks for the comments.
Time to just suck it up and get it over with, right?
- May 27, '12 by malenurseFlDo what you need to do to be where you want to be. Sometimes we all run out of alternatives.
- May 27, '12 by caliotter3I got ticked off because the last time I took all of these classes I got A's in them. Why would I want to waste the time and money yet again? I would request a waiver or exception to policy, and would not waste my time and money unless the school is adamant on you spending the extra money.
- Jul 21, '12 by MsPiggyI'm doing the excelsior program and because my pre-reqs were 20 yr.s old I have to take almost all of them again.
Hope my 47 yr. old brain can do it. I have to take A&P, micro, algebra, sociology and a humanities. Basically the only thing they accepted from my LPN and 20+ yr.s of hands on experience was psych.
It's does bother me because I think it's a money thing. I would just go to a traditional rN program but I need to continue working and the waiting lists are years long here. So-I'm just going to try my best to test out on them all through excelsior.
It's a bit overwhelming after not being in school for so long but my daughter in laws mother just did it and got her RN at age 60-so I am hoping for the differnece in salary and more opportunity it will be worth it :0)
~Ms.Piggy. If you want a study buddy Laura, just let me know. I'm doing the essentials of nursing health safety and transitions to rn first because as of 10-1-12 excelsior wont let you take those prior to paying the registration, then I'm planning on knocking out the A & P and Micro-paying the fat enrollment and doing the rest.
I figure even if it takes me a few years I've still got 15 yr.s to work-if I'm lucky, 20 if I'm not ;0/