Panic Panic Panic Time!!!!Register Today!
- by missy0910 Sep 1, '12I start on Wed the 5th and do not have one text book yet!! I don't know what I am going to do!!! I am not going to be prepared!! Def not the way I wanted to start my program I feel horrible...
- Sep 1, '12 by lyohnkCan't you get them immediately at the bookstore?
- My school doesn't have a book store it's all ordered online! Money was tight so I wasn't able to do it sooner then this weekend! I just hope they understand because I want to do this more than anything! I just found it harder because we had to put a 350 deposit and all our books uniforms etc were not covered even with financial aid...
- Sep 1, '12 by KikikinsUse CourseSmart. I got some of my books rented through them. A lot of online textbook vendors feature a 7day e-book access while you wait for your books to arrive. If you do use CourseSmart be advised some texts are only available as a 180-day rental which is not enough to span an average PN program. I ordered Lippingcott's Manual of Nursing Practice through them and did not realize it was only a 180-day rental. Fortunately they have a superb return policy so I returned it (I had only accessed a handful of pages) and procured the text through Amazon.
- Oh wow rentals!! I never thought of that!! Thanks
- Sep 1, '12 by Keren87I don't know where you live, but usually in the big cities there are medical book stores where they usually have the text books. You prob won't need all the books the first day, but try to at least have the one or two main books. Good luck!
- Sep 1, '12 by LeeLeeTheGPNTry to get the books only as you need them. I am surmising that you probably won't have all of your classes in the same semester. Rent the books you need for that semester then return them, since once you finish the class, you probably won't need the book anymore. Check your course schedule see when and how long you will be taking each course.
- Sep 1, '12 by peanutsauceFirst of all, take a deep breath.
I'd look at your syllabi, and see which books are being used within the first week or two of class. These ones, you might need to purchase from the bookstore. If it's not being used until later in the semester, purchase it to rent. OR, for the time being, make some new friends, and ask if you might be able to borrow a book or two for the night? It's not the end of the world, and it's not starting off on a bad foot.
- Sep 1, '12 by KikikinsQuote from missy0910You're more than welcome! We BOCES people need to help each other out!Oh wow rentals!! I never thought of that!! Thanks
Also, assess the content of each book required and the likelihood you'll need them while you prep for the boards. That's why I chose to buy Lippingcott's Manual of Nursing Practice outright, I kept seeing posts on here how it is one of those books that continues to be useful post-grad, especially if you are rolling into an RN program soon after PN school. Good luck!
- Thanks everyone for the advice! It is greatly appreciated