Opinion on supplemental booksRegister Today!
- by Kaligirl02 Nov 25, '11Hello everyone!! Hope you have slept off the food coma we all endured yesterday!!
So I was browsing this forum and have gotten alot of good advice from this snooping I have been doing. I am about to start the nursing progam the beginning of January 2012 and was looking at buying some books in addition to the required textbooks.
Please let me know if you think my list is complete. Thanks in advance!!:bowingpur
Survival guide for A&P
Expert LPV/LVN guides: Advanced skills
Expert LVN/LPN guides: Fluid and electrolytes
Nutrition made incredably easy
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
- Dec 5, '11 by Iridescent OrchidThat sounds like a great list you have there! Before you purchase these, try to make sure you'll get your money's worth out of them. I have a problem with impulse buying supplemental items. I love the collection and I have books I've yet to crack open that I bought to help with A&P, Psych, and so on. I tend to try to get better about that before the program, because I could go insane on Amazon or in a bookstore when it comes to nursing school supplemental purchases! These are always great to have though!
Your list looks good to me, but I haven't started to create my actual program supplemental list yet. I've only done my pre-reqs. Best of luck!
- Dec 5, '11 by x_factorI'm going to check Amazon for those books you listed! I'm Pre-Nursing and was just accepted fully into the nursing program for the spring semester. To prepare, I bought:
Fluids and Electrolytes Made Incredibly Easy (This book came highly recommended by students a semester ahead of me, and it had great reviews on Amazon)
Fundementals Success: A Course Review Applying Critical Thinking to Test Taking
I also picked up the Kaplan A&P flashcards, and I bought the Saunders NCLEX review book to start going over NCLEX style questions, since I heard from other students at my school that the A&P class and the Fundementals class rely solely on NCLEX style questions for the tests and quizzes.
I plan on picking up Nursing Care Plans: Diagnoses, Interventions, and Outcomes, and the Pharmacology Made Incredibly Easy books as well.
- Dec 6, '11 by Kaligirl02the for the advice iridescent orchid, my bff is an rn and she is like "please dont go overboard with buying books you'll never use!!" lol. I saw a clipboard with a calculator and lab values etc., with storage. I think I want that too!! lol.
x-factor- Congrats on getting into the program! Iam looking around right now for flashcards, Kaplan cards are good? My school provides all 10 books in our tuition (700.00) I got the list and found all the books for 564.00!! they need to buy stuff on sale! Anyways my school provides: saunders Q&A review nclex, saunders nursing drug handbook 2012. I heard suanders reviews and drug book are pretty good. When is your first day? im gonna have to look into pharm:incredibly easy tonight
- Dec 6, '11 by Iridescent OrchidYou are very welcome! It is true, I have some I haven't even touched for the courses I've taken, they're just sitting on the shelf...and they were like $25 each...LOL, definitely could have put that money to some better use.
I have the Kaplan's Anatomy Flashcards as well! They are wonderful! Definitely got my money's worth out of them and know I'll be looking back on them throughout the rest of my nursing school days and my career! Definitely buy them online if you choose to purchase though. I spent close to $30 in Books-A-Million, and they're like $16 on Amazon...huge fail!
Have fun shopping and good luck!
- Dec 6, '11 by mzrainydayzFundamentals Review and Rationales by Mary Ann Hogan, Test Success and Fundamentals Success are great first semester books. Amazon and half.com have great prices. (The review and rationales series, and the success series, and Saunders NCLEX). These are the books I will be using once in the nursing program, alot of nursing students said these books really helped.
- Dec 12, '11 by ViennaMarieHey everyone...I am entering the nursing program at my school in January 2012 as well! Congrats to all of you!!!
I was trying to look up the books that everyone is recommending... mzrainydayz, you suggested Test Success and Fundamentals Succes, who is the author for those books? I am also looking up the review and rationales, and the success series by Saunders but I'm having trouble. Are they one book or a bunch of books? Maybe I need a title that's a little more specific? Any help? ...I'd like to order these and start looking into them over break. ...I'd appreciate more info!
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FIRST SEMESTER!!!