Newly licensed LPNRegister Today!
- by halleghir Feb 19Why hasn't someone come up with a program that can facilitate newly licensed LPNs? It is so hard to land your first job as an LPN. Everyone asks for at least 1 year of experience, and there is hardly any volunteer or externship opportunities out there.
Well, that's something I feel I should work on implementing in the future.
I got my license in Dec. of 2012 and starting looking for a job after the holidays. I feel very complacent right now because I am anxious about being out of the field for too long. I wish someone can empathize with my situtation and give me a break soon.
- Feb 19 by traumaRUsMoving to LPN forum.
- Feb 19 by bugya90My first job "required" two years experience but I was blessed with a charge nurse who interviewed me anyway and offered the job. Try applying at nursing homes and Clinics, they trend to more open to new grads than the hospitals. It would at least put some experience under your belt
- Feb 20 by TraceyDianeI'm a new nurse to. When I started looking for jobs after I got my licence everyone was looking for at least 2-5yrs experiance. "You got to start off somewhere" so I looked at area nursing homes. Its not my dream job however its going to give me some experiance under my belt so when I do look for my new job I can say look I did this for x amt of years. Also I have actually learned a great bit from working in LTC the older adult patient usually has a bunch of different drugs with even more side effects so I have been looking up more and more drugs and learning even more about disease processes. Which I think its really sad that someone takes a drug for one disease process and then have to take another drug just for the side effects of that one drug. (Just a food for thought) Also the place I work is willing to pay up to 50% of my school if I choose to go back to get my RN. Yea I'm going to be under contact to work for them for x amt of time, but its a job and sometimes jobs for new grads are hard to come by. Good luck on your job search!
- Feb 20 by nekozukiI think it's just a regional thing. As a new grad LPN, my entire class got jobs the first week. We could pretty much walk into any LTC and quite a few HH agencies and get hired on the spot.
- Feb 22 by halleghirNekozuki, Where do you live? I want to move there, lol Seriously, and how long ago was this? I don't mind moving elsewhere for a while until I have that one year under my belt. I am that desperate because I'm worried that it would be too long before I can find a job and my license would go to waste if I dont find a job.