Quote from EvelynLane
Not to discourage you but the NH I work at has an overwhelming census and workload. There are around 30 residents on the floor I work on, which is manageable but then you have wound care, Medicare charting, treatments, alarms and phones to answer. A lot of how the day goes depends on the CNAs working.
- I hate that phone. I wish that I could find a way to chart away from the nurse's station.
- I don't have much medicare charting to do at this time. Census is down and mine left. So...that's good.
- The CNAs. Most of our aides are great. The first shift aides are great. Our aides, I see them as professionals. We're a team.
It's when the second shift comes in that it all goes to hell. Not all, but 3 out of the 5 are just 'special'...and that's way too many dullards in the bunch for any LTC.
It's kind of becoming an aide vs nurse situation on second shift. Why? They don't do their jobs. The crappy aides overwork the good aides AND the nurses. The good aides will cover their pts and the nurse have to micromanage them. Run behind them to ensure that they've done their duties, like they're children.
If you're not dealing with that? LOL You're dealing with this mess:
I was walking the halls trying to make sure that the everyone was in the dining hall and trying to catch the stragglers. It was dinner. So, I'm walking and I see movement behind a resident's cracked door. I open it up. Walk in.
- was the food tray cart lowered bent at 65% angle? It looked a damned 'V'.
- Why did the aide try to balance the tray of food on the food cart ANYWAY?
- ...but place the drinks off the cart and on a shelf,beyond his reach?
- Why was the resident (dementia) in the room chasing his food across the floor with a fork?
- Why did he have a fork?
- Why were the lights off?
I uttered a series of silent curses...then? I caught up with the 'hot mess' aide on hall-trays. What was her response, "Oh...uh...well, I...."
Lots of stammering and shrugging.
I almost felt bad for writing her up.
...but that kind of ineptitude?
I don't know what's going on but management needs to stop just looking for 'warm bodies' to fill slots and start pushing some aptitude tests.
You may fare better. I'm just semi-ranting because I'm still SMH at what occurred.
On the bright side, most of our aides are great. They bust tail and kick booty.
My coworkers are fun, too. We work together and really lean on each other. There's gossip and such, but it's not hard to steer clear of.