Jobless LVN/LPN and DepressionRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Jobless LVN/LPN and Depression in LPN / LVN Corner, part of General Nursing ... Is anyone experiencing the same? I graduated in 2009. Passed NCLEX, worked LVN Corrections-Psych...by MissMedic34 Aug 31, '12Is anyone experiencing the same? I graduated in 2009. Passed NCLEX, worked LVN Corrections-Psych for 1+yrs until 70 of us Registry LVNs had the ahem DMH "contract end" or should I say lay off. I was laid off 1st wave right before Christmas 2011 and that quickly sucked me into depression. Since then, I've been jobless.
I've done a lot to look for a job, wasted a lot of time, gas, mileage, envelopes, stamps, resume paper, pen ink, printer ink etc.. My buttocks hurt from also job hunting through the internet. I had several interviews that were excellent, but no jobs offered. Tons of reject letters-emails. I even tried to look for a CNA and Medical Assisting job (I have certs for both) and still no luck.
I've been in non-nursing healthcare 1999-2008 when I quit for LVN school and now even find a regular healthcare job. Is it because I'm now LVN? All of this rejection is even sinking me even MORE into depression.
It's Friday again. Another week wasted. I give up on looking for a job for this week. Next week I am going to attempt to look for a retail-restaurant-office-admin job and omit any medical experience and schooling. Will only keep my college info under education. I know its falsifying a regular job application but it's worth a shot. Don't tell me you need 1+ yrs experience to fold clothes-stock at any retail store or to mop the floors at McDonalds!!! Will also try again with non-nursing healthcare and omit any LVN experience and schooling... I'm in desperate need for a job. I'm losing hope, my self esteem, very depressed(no meds), and utilizing my coping skills to the max. Psych nursing HI/SI. I admit SI lately because of how I'm feeling. Is anyone else on my boat??Last edit by Joe V on Aug 31, '12
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=779725©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 3,793 Views
- Aug 31, '12 by Glenna, LPNFirst off ***HUGS*** These times are really tough. Jobs seem to come few and far between these days and it sucks the big one. You are not alone. I did caregiving in 2006 and had been a CNA from 2007 till now. I graduated from my LPN program last August and passed my NCLEX in October. Many of my classmates struggled with finding jobs. Even at the freaking nursing home! I remember when I first started being a CNA they were always looking for nurses! When I used to work at the Hospital as a CNA 2 in acute care there was this charge nurse I knew. She recently got laid off. Matter of a fact legacy health care systems in total laid off over 300 employee's. Not a comforting thought. I know.
In Jan. of this year I got my first LPN job at the nursing home. It was an on-call position. The DNS was only going to hire one LPN at first, the one who did her clincials there. Then she met me and decided to hire two because she liked my personality and told me this. When I started, I noticed there was this other LPN guy working....and come to find out...he was also on-call...and used to work there...moved to cali...and now is back. The censes kept going down...and then I felt like the ugly, red headed, step child....because I never got called into work. This job was also 30 mins away and sometimes if they did call me for a nurse position...they would ask me to come in for two hours. ThIS WONT EVEN PAY FOR THE GAS TO EVEN GET THERE AND BACK! Ugh.
So pretty much I've been sitting here. Really not working. Nope. I haven't worked since March. I've also been finishing up a few more classes so get ready to apply for bridge programs. Yep. Sitting here on the couch, on my laptop, 25 years old, and still living with mommy and daddy. Every week I sit here and look at jobs on craigslist, indeed.com, simplyhired, and usajobs.gov. Not many jobs are posted. When I applied, yay rejection letters! I have a really good and strong resume. Employers I guess are picking out the best of the best or something. Oh and when you do get the interview I feel you with feeling the good vibes from the interview...then bam. Rejection letter. I just recently had two interviews with the VA. Now I'm sitting here waiting to hear back. All weeks at a time.
I know that times are hard. Just don't give up hope. You aren't alone. Your story is the same as one of my other classmates. She was stressed and finally was able to find a job just last week with months of not working. You'll find a job sooner or later. You aren't alone when it comes to this. I'm sending good vibes your way. How much did your school cost? Mine was 28,000. ack.Last edit by Glenna, LPN on Aug 31, '12 : Reason: forgot to mention something
- @GlennaLPN *hugs* to you too.. My VN program $42,000 =/
- Aug 31, '12 by 1pinknurseAw....my heart goes to all of you. I worked as a non certified medical asst for 6 yrs then worked at a major health insurance company for 12 yrs, before getting my LVN. I have wanted to be a nurse since I worked as a NCMA and I left the good $$$ at the health insurance company to follow my 20 yr dream. After LVN graduation (2/2011), it took months to get a job here in Southern California. The competition with nurses here is ridiculous! I busted my butt & applied everywhere within a 50 mile radius regardless of the experience requirement. I ended up getting work after 3 months of getting my license (5/2011) and I just accepted a position at a hospital for LA County. So not only did I as an LVN get a hospital job, I got a county job. Don't listen to anyone & apply everywhere!! Nothing comes to those who don't try. I am my biggest cheerleader. Good luck!!!
- Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll keep my hopes up for everyone including myself. I read around in this app and have seen that there's a lot of LVNs and even RNs struggling to find a position. I should've mentioned earlier that actually I was offered by 2 registries, my old one and another one to go back to the Correctional Facility I was last assigned to but had to turn them down because of my family has just relocated in July and the commute from my place to the prison (3hrs) is impossible. Since then no luck... I wish the best of luck to all of us who are going through this right now... Let the hunt continue *sigh* Enjoy your weekend everyone
- Aug 31, '12 by hey_suzQuote from MissMedic34Please, interrupt your job search to get help. SI is nothing to joke about. If you are that depressed, please get help now.I admit SI lately because of how I'm feeling.
- Quote from hey_suzThank you. SI lately came across my mind one time. I have never had SI nor attempted anything before. After reading your reply@ hey_suz, I have called 3 hotlines and spoke to the counselors. One was also a Christian hotline. I told them what I'm going through, how I'm feeling and about the SI I have recently experienced. After that, I answered A LOT of their questions and listened to their positives and advice. I was also informed that if I ever experience SI again, to call them anytime. I didn't even know there are local groups in my area. One said, "You're hard effort will pay off at the end with a nursing position worth waiting for." "Think of all the positives, and don't give up." The advice I'm getting here on allnurses, online sites and from those counselors has helped me get back on my feet. I need to keep my head up, think positive and never lose faith. Thank you again =) *hugs*Please, interrupt your job search to get help. SI is nothing to joke about. If you are that depressed, please get help now.
- Aug 31, '12 by dturninHello and first and fore most let me tell you that GOD loves you and many people around you do too. Please go and seek counsel from someone fast. You may need to be put on and anti depressant. There is nothing wrong with it, but you can't have a pitty party, it will cause you to spiral in to deeper depression. I think that you may need to focus on your well being for now. I have been laid off and know how you feel. Just don' t let it overcome you. This to shall pass. You will see your pot of God at the end of your rainbow. You are loved and you are beautiful keep yourself busy and get out the house and do you.
- Sep 1, '12 by roseonyehave you tried any agency? hopefully you will find work soon. what state are you in?
- Sep 2, '12 by BrandonLPNQuote from MissMedic34This made me choke on the milk I was drinking. Yikes. Do you live in California? Everything I've read here suggests the job market sucks there. Maybe you need to move to a different state? Easier said than done, I know. But here in Michigan you'd have a job in less than a week.@GlennaLPN *hugs* to you too.. My VN program $42,000 =/