REJECTED for OLOL accelerated East JeffRegister Today!
- by angelp71 Aug 3, '08Hi all. Ive been reading this forum for a while but wasnt prompted to join/post until now. I got my rejection letter yesterday and was very distraught. This is my second time applying to the OLOL accelerated program. I have been taking pre-reqs at Delgado for two years and finally finished a couple of weeks ago. I worked so hard to get good grades in all of my classes. I really thought i had a chance. This program would have changed my life. (I also applied to CHarity twice and got rejected for Spring 08 and Fall 08) I am a single mom and work fulltime at an inpt psych unit. My back up plan is to go to LTC in reserve for the LPN program. It seems like im already so past that because of how hard the pre-reqs were for Charity/OLOL. Plus the program is longer. All RNs that talk to me about my futre say not to do an LPN program bc they have never met an LPN that was satisfied to stay at that level. I am debating on waiting and just reapplying for OLOL January-West Jeff. I am calling admissions tomorrow and finding out why i didnt get in and if i ever have a chance. My GPA is 2.7 over all and 3.1 in pre-reqs. It was really nice to read some off yall who have gotten rejected but continued to apply and eventually get it. Also congrats to everyone who has gotten in and about to start!!! I am going to continue to look for new posts daily. I really felt better knowing i am not alone in the rejection boat. Take care everyone!
- Aug 3, '08 by hs2005You have the right idea about talking with the school. I would speak with someone at olol and Charity and find out how you can improve your chances in the next application. Don't give up, you will get there!
- Aug 4, '08 by Paragoddess2RNYou could try Nicholls State University in Thibodaux....but I think the standard going GPA is above 3.2....like I said you could try....I've heard of lower getting in at times.
- Aug 4, '08 by sunshyne09Hi angelp71
Please don't give up. I too am a single mother with 1 teenage daughter. I have a BS in Biology and have been rejected by OLOL twice (just received letter yesterday). I started working on pre-reqs in January for OLOL. I only needed two. Since then I have been taking classes over to get better grades. I have made all A's in my last 4 classes....Nursing is way to competitive for Bs and Cs. I work fulltime and attend class at night. I took A&P II over this summer...took it 14 years ago. It was so INTENSE with 2 test a week for 6 weeks. I would work all day and study all night. Sometimes going to sleep around 8 or 8:30...waking up at 12 or 1 am and studing until it was time to leave for work. It is not easy and YES very disappointing when you've worked so hard. I have talked to people in nursing dept at Nicholls State, SELU and UT Houston and have taken most pre-reqs for those schools as well. I will be applying to all their programs for Spring 09. If that fails, they'll hear from me again. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
- When did you guys receive letters from OLOL EJ, I spoke to them and the committee has not met yet. I have applied and have not heard anything. Keep trying.
- Aug 4, '08 by angelp71thank you so much sunshyne. i definately will not give up. i have been trying to call the admissions committee all morning. ive also been recalculating my gpa overall and for pre-reqs. im coming up with a 2.82 overall and 3.00 for pre-reqs. (i dont think i mentioned my BA is in Psych from Loyola.) of course i will re-apply for january 09 which i believe is at West Jeff. Nicholls state has moved their 2 yr ADN program to the CC in Houma. I will also apply there. Unfortunately cannot move out of state (yet) due to custody issues; but the sooner i have a degree i will be able to move.
Good job in that A&P II summer class. I just took Micro this summer and i was blown away by the intensity of the class and how quickly the class moves. Tests every week and then suddenly the cumulative final was crazy. Plus, mine was online....very challenging to self discipline!!
Anyway, good luck to you. Thanks again for making feel not alone.
To minno-the letters for East Jeff went out on Tuesday(7/29) and i got mine Saturday (8/2).
- I do know when calculating your GPA, OLOL counts both grades in classes that were retaken.
- Aug 4, '08 by angelp71yes i just spoke to someone on admissions and they quoted my prereq gpa as 2.3 (!!!!) due to them counting all grades repeated. she also told me that my summer classes were not included but listed as 'in progress' but even if i "got an A it wouldnt be enough to bump me up". she said they are increasing the pre-req gpa to 3.0. it would take me 2-3 years of taking random classes and getting As to get that. oh well, on to other options.
- I have applied and I have not heard anything yet, i am also going to apply at the program in houma.Be aware that the houma program, the school gives the run around nobody knows anything.
- Aug 4, '08 by dsoginerI just graduated from Tulane/OLOL and I am from the Houma area. There has been a long wait for LE Fletcher CC to open their nurse program so the waiting list is probably pretty long. I took some classes there and confusion on the part of the admin. was common. Just be aware that some schools do not recognize LE Fletcher (OLOL does not) and will not accept their classes. I had to retake some prereqs before I was accepted into the program at OLOL because they came from L E Fletcher.
As to OLOL, they lose so many people during the year, it is probably a good idea to up the GPA requirements. Sorry you have had such a hard time. This year was the longest and most difficult year I have had in my college career.