LSU BSN program Spring 2013Register Today!
- by KristenNola Apr 30, '12Is anyone applying to the LSU Traditional BSN program for Spring 2013? I haven't applied yet but plan on doing so. I'm really nervous, I have gone to a couple different schools so I think that my cumalitive GPA is around 3.13 but my nursing pre-requisite GPA is 3.75. I'm afraid that my cumalitive isn't good enough to be accepted. I'm applying to Charity as well, but my first choice is LSU.
- 61,482 Views
- May 14, '12 by jord_marieI've been a student at LSUHSC SON since Spring of 2011. I completed all of my pre-reqs at Southeastern, and my GPA was a 3.4 when I applied in August of 2010. Acceptance isn't based strictly on GPA, but it does make up a good part of it. There's also a HESI Admissions Assessment you have to take, a paper you have to write, as well as an interview. I was a nervous wreck throughout the whole application process, especially since it was the only school I applied to. Applications for Spring admission are usually due around August 15th. Make sure you submit all paperwork or it will be incomplete. I got a call about two weeks later to schedule an interview for September 19th. Senior nursing students did our interviews, but I've heard from newer students that it's been different since then. I got lost on the way to to my interview, was almost late and cried during it because I was just a nervous wreck haha, but I did fine. I received my acceptance letter on October 25th, and it was such a huge relief. I looked into Charity, but a big deciding factor for me was the fact that it was an ADN program and you have to apply a year in advance, as opposed to the semester before at LSU. I also want my BSN, so I figured it'd be best to just get it all done at once, instead of doing a transition/bridge program later. My advice is to contact the nursing recruiter at the Office of Student Affairs with a copy of your transcript, and she'll be able to tell you which classes will transfer over and everything. That's the very first thing I did when I considered applying. Once I had completed all the classes at SELU that I knew would transfer, I scheduled my HESI Assessment and got all of my paperwork together for my application. If you're seriously considering LSU, start getting everything together now. Good luck!
- May 22, '12 by KristenNolaI have all pre-reqs finished, or will have completed by the time application is due except for 1, Intro to Sociology. The recruiter said that the course was not needed to apply but needs to completed before spring admission. I'm enrolled to take the course in the fall but in another thread I read that due to budget cuts in the past years that people have not been admitted due to not having all the pre-reqs finished even if they will be completed before starting LSU. Is this true? I will be devastated if Intro to Sociology holds me back from being admitted to LSU.
- Jun 3, '12 by pearleypearleyHi KristenNola,
Im also in the same boat as you I have most of my pre-reqs completed i just have to take microbiology in the fall. My concerns are not the gpa but the HESI exam i purchased the assesment book but im not sure if i will be prepared come june 30...Have you taken it already? if so what advice can you give..
- Jun 4, '12 by KristenNolaHey pearlypearly,
I took the Hesi once in May before Charity's application was due but I'm taking it again June 22nd. The first time I took it was right after finals and I hadn't studied at all. I ended up getting an 84% which I was happy with since I didn't study at all. I didn't do well on Biology and A&P which is surprising since I just finished A&P 2. So I will be focusing on studying those areas before the 22nd. The math was pretty basic, LOTS of ratios and proportions. But they have a calculator on the computer, which I didn't realize halfway through. The vocabulary was basically straight from the book. There was a Critical Thinking portion on it but wasn't calculated in to my grade for Charity but for LSU the Critical Thinking is calculated and I think they want you to get above a certain score but I forgot what it was. If somebody knows could they please let me know? On the CT section that I took it was a lot of priortizing. Like you have 4 patients, one is 18 has asthma and you believe he is locked up in the bathroom smoking, on patient is 28 had surgery on her kidney is complaining about lots of blood in her urine, another is 82 and lost feeling in her legs and is attempting to roll over, and another patient is mentally disabled and is screaming about aliens trying to get him. Who do you attend to first? That question was off the top of my head so it was different than what was on there, but was similar to many of the CT questions. I think as long as you study you should be fine.
- Jun 25, '12 by KristenNolaSo I got an 85% on the HESI, 1% higher than what I got the first time I took it, and a 780 on CT. I hope this score is good to get in with? I planned on studying for the test for the past month but since I've been enrolled in Microbiology online I haven't had time to has anyone else taken the HESI?
- Jun 25, '12 by KristenNola@Pearleypearley, you said you were taking the HESI on June 30, what location are you taking it at that has Saturday slots?
- Jun 30, '12 by pearleypearleyI took it today at the location in Metairie but I think im going to retake it b/c i got a 71 im not sure what i got on the critical thinking part but my pre-req gpa is 3.5 im not to sure about my hesi score...
- Jul 2, '12 by KristenNolaYa I just scheduled a retake as well at the Metairie location, I didn't know they had Saturday options! I'm schedule to take it July 21. I didn't know that there was going to be a Chemistry portion so I didn't even study that! My pre-req is a 3.5 as well, but I haven't taken Intro to Soc. yet, I am scheduled to take it in the fall. Hopefully I'll do better on the HESI re-take.
- Jul 2, '12 by pearleypearleyQuote from KristenNolaYa I just scheduled a retake as well at the Metairie location, I didn't know they had Saturday options! I'm schedule to take it July 21. I didn't know that there was going to be a Chemistry portion so I didn't even study that! My pre-req is a 3.5 as well, but I haven't taken Intro to Soc. yet, I am scheduled to take it in the fall. Hopefully I'll do better on the HESI re-take.
Well good luck...im about to schedule my retake now...