The RN Care Manager is responsible for collaborating with services internal and external to the VA to facilitate care transition in order to effectively meet the patients' needs. As RN Referral Care Manager, the RN assesses the condition and needs of each veteran, establishes relationships with the veteran and his//her provider, applies eligibility and entitlement criteria, and makes referrals to other federal facilities or approves non-VA care based on patient condition and eligibility. He/she provides clinical expertise and knowledge of InterQual Acute Care Criteria, evidence based practices, clinical documentation requirements, third party payer criteria, current standards of care, and compliance guidelines (The Joint Commission, IG, VA CBO, VISN, etc). The RN is self-directed and demonstrates a high level of clinical practice and leadership skills to facilitate quality continuity of care throughout the referral process and entitlement criteria. In addition, the RN Referral Care Manager may serve as Revenue Nurse Coordinator. He/she is accountable for utilizing critical thinking skills, sound nursing judgment, case management skills to ensure positive outcomes as well as providing clinical expertise and assistance to the Medical Care Cost Recovery (MCCF) program in maximizing third party collections and denial management. The Revenue Nurse Coordinator is responsible for providing clinical and administrative recommendations for program specific decisions that are relative to the DSS function and reflect the distinct and contributory role of nursing in DSS. The position also requires the ability to work independently in accomplishing assignments, program goals, and objectives. The nurse in this position provides leadership for and participation in analyzing performance improvement activities. He/she serves to assist the Nurse Manager in gathering clinical and or administrative data and in performing or making recommendations for various departmental reports and peer reviews. Based on education and experience, may be assigned responsibilities of Charge Nurse and acts as a Resource Nurse.
Work Schedule: Intermittent (As Needed)
Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse/000000BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
* Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
* Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
* Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
* Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
* Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.GRADE DETERMINATIONS:
Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel.
The criteria are as follows:
Reference: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G6 Nurse Qualification Standard.
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Physical Requirements: May require occasional heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); moderate carrying (15-44 lbs.); standing, walking, and kneeling; pushing/pulling; the use of fingers on both hands; ability to reach above shoulders; repeated bending; climbing using legs and arms; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable to 13" to 16" so Jaeger 1/to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; depth perception; ability to distinguish basic color and shades of colors; and hearing (hearing aid permitted).
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency. For more information, see http://www.sss.gov/
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other(VA Form 10-2850a Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists)
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists is availableat the following website -http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf
Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment is availableat the following website - http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Thursday, November 30, 2017 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
- To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdfand provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1896873.
- Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.