Are the rewards and challenges what you predicted?
- 0I was a science teacher for almost 20 years before deciding to retrain for a new career in nursing. I am in my last year of school and I have a question for the veteran and not-so-veteran nurses out there. I want to know if your nursing career was what you thought it would be when you decided to embark on it. Are the rewards you reap and the challenges you face what you had predicted? Or did you not anticipate what you would end up loving and hating about nursing? I would love to hear your anecdotes. Thanks!
- 568 Views
- 0Aug 19, '12 by AshkeHello Woppity and welcome!
I think you will find the answers to your questions as you read through the forums. There is definitely a good, bad, and ugly to nursing as there is to any profession, but in the end, if you have a calling and a passion for the job, the positives will always outweigh the negatives. You just have to make sure that you are getting into it for the right reasons.
Good luck! Hope to bump into you on the forum again soon!
- 0Aug 19, '12 by GitanoRN GuideQuote from woppityUnquestionably, my nursing career has been a total blessing throughout the years. Having said that, nursing has offer me not only the opportunity to do what I truly enjoy, but in addition, I been able to travel around the world as a nurse and savor first hand other cultures and their customs. Moreover, at present I'm living in what I refer to as the "Eternal Vacation State of Hawaii" Needless to say, there been times that it wasn't all that great however, the ups outweight the downs. Therefore, in answer to your question no my beloved nursing career was not what I envisioned, it has been more satisfying than I ever could had imagine it. Here's wishing you a long and fruitful nursing career, as I send you a hug from across the miles....Aloha~I want to know if your nursing career was what you thought it would be when you decided to embark on it. Are the rewards you reap and the challenges you face what you had predicted? Or did you not anticipate what you would end up loving and hating about nursing? I would love to hear your anecdotes. Thanks!
- 0Aug 26, '12 by vickieteeIts been a Blessing for me, just as the previous comments made, i had already been in the pre liminary stages of nursing, first i started as a care giver living in for 24hrs a day for 7yrs,(Made huge money there) but it can be very lonesome, then i took the Cna certification, worked for 5yrs then decided to go for nursing at age 40 exact, ask me why i didnt go for nursing at first? i thought it was going to be untouchable, it was meant for the brains...lol
Well neverthe less it wasnt for the brains as i had thought but for the knowledgeable willing and able to think thru use good judgement, prioritize from urgent to less urgent and dedication. i had passion to care for people generally so i saw myself as going up to doing it but had no financial help so i started the way i did and will still go all the way to BSN with God on my side...lol
- 0Aug 28, '12 by VinniesguyHey Woppity
I come from a long line of nurses (5th generation) so what I knew about nursing was from listening to the stories that got told.
It sounded fun and exciting and it hasn't really let me down!
I've been nursing for 24 years and I can't imagine doing anything else - nor would I want to.
There are days when I get frustrated, days when I think it couldn't possibly get any worse, days when lunch stays in my locker all day, or I get snarked at by some uppity relative etc.
But there are days when I see my patient who came in knocking on heaven's door walk out with a big smile on his face thinking he'd never see another Christmas, or a family who even though their mother died want to thank you for the compassion showed to her and letting her die in peace and with dignity. Just being able to ease some-one's suffering amkles it all worth while.
Plus we get to mess about with lots of shiny equipment that flash, beep, hiss and make all kinds of noise :redlight:
And I don't think a day has ever gone past without a laugh out loud moment!!
All the best