Scholarships for ENs?Register Today!
- by GreenEyes48 Jan 24, '08I am in South Australia. Does anyone know if there are scholarships available to ENs studying through TAFE please? There seems to be plenty around for RNs but nothing for ENs in training.
I started last February and will qualify in this coming July. My income is a Carers Pension and Carers Allowance for my husband.
I am finding it very hard to come up with the fees for my last semester even with concessions and fees-by-instalments.
If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=276948©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 755 Views
- Jan 24, '08 by katie258You could try asking social security, a girlfriend of mine got some money from them to get a computer and got a discount from TAFE for the course she did.But she had a health care card. If you are currently employed you might try your HSM to see if your employer might offset some of the costs if you commit to staying on as an EN. You could also try the CWA they have a few different scholarships for nurses. Good luck I hope you find something.
- Jan 24, '08 by nyapaTry contacting the National Enrolled Nurse Association. They may have some idea of where to look
Or you could try ringing the Australian Nurses Federation. Sure you're not a member, but you are a potential one should they be able to point you in the right direction...
Its not fair that you've got so little time to go, when you have obviously worked so hard to get as far as you have. And they convert the course soon too don't they?
I really hope you find one. I hunted the internet for you and found plenty on offer for ENs who wanted to either do a conversion course to RN, or gain their medication endorsement. The country is always talking about how there are no nurses, that it is a crisis profession. So why not look at all nurses???!!!umpiron:Last edit by nyapa on Jan 24, '08
- Jan 25, '08 by Grace OzI'm unaware of any scholarships for EN's.
However, given you are receiving a carer pension from centrelink, I'm sure there'd be something they could offer.
Isn't there some kind of allowance available to people studying? Austudy isn't it?
I hope you are able to secure some assistance and wish you every success.
- May 12, '08 by ProudofmyNursingartCongrats on your course in EN.
I am graduating from Spencer TAFE SA with Diploma of Nursing (EEN) in 3 more weeks.
If you have a carer's pension you can get a Pension Education Suppliment.
For full time students or 75% of full time work load it is $200 at the start of the course and every 12 months. And $62.50 per fortnight.
Part time is $31.25 per fortnight.
With PES you also can get back ALL travel expenses to attend COMPULSARY workshops. This is to and from once every 12 months. That helps heaps.
You can also apply for SATAC which drops the cost of the course MASSIVELY.
Although you would now have started your course you can still apply for SATAC in November, I think, and again in April.
SATAC took my course from $15,000 to just under $2,000! Amazing isn't it.
BUT the competetion is tough for this. But you can get it and it's like winning Bingo. I cried and screamed after I read at 6:30pm I had got first round offers. Very proud.:heartbeat
Hope this helps some?
Good luck with your course. You can do it.:wink2:
- May 13, '08 by Grace OzCONGRATULATIONS Redrecks on your upcoming graduation!
- May 13, '08 by Grace Ozgreeneyes48, pop on in and let us know how you're getting on!
hope everything is working out for you.