Pay for psych nurses in AlbertaRegister Today!
- by VanLpn Jul 19, '11i'm considering entering douglascollege for bachelor of science in psych nursing. here in b.c, psych nurses are under the same contract as rn's (same $) and with the exception of a few specialties(maternity,peds) they can work in many environments that the rn does. i have a lot of family in alberta so i was considering moving there once i complete my studies. do rpn's and rn's get paid the same wage in alberta?
- 1,254 Views
- Jul 23, '11 by RN58186As far as I understand, RPN's in AB can only work in mental health. I have never seen an RPN on any unit other than a mental health one.
- Jul 23, '11 by Fiona59Quote from RN58186As far as I understand, RPN's in AB can only work in mental health. I have never seen an RPN on any unit other than a mental health one.
Not true. I've worked with Psych RNs in LTC, Transition and have even heard of them being hired onto our PostPartum floor and being given teh same orientation lectures and buddy shifts as any new hire.
- Jul 24, '11 by joanna73Yes there are all kinds of postings with AHS and Covenant Health that ask for RN or RPN. They don't care.
- Nov 9, '11 by MaxloRPNThis is probably outdated by now but I'm a psychiatric nurse that's worked between Alberta and BC. While in Alberta I worked as a children's therapist and briefly on an inpt unit in a regional hospital. The hospital did not hire psych nurses outside of psychiatry. There were many job opportunities in Alberta and the psych nurses as well as any RN get paid better in Alberta then in BC.
- Nov 9, '11 by joanna73That's for sure. I don't plan to leave AB anytime soon. Moving anywhere else in Canada to work an RN equals a pay cut.