Enroll in a SoCal nursing school from Ukraine. Possible?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Enroll in a SoCal nursing school from Ukraine. Possible? in International Nursing, part of World Nursing ... I received this letter from CA BoN: Based on the additional documents sent by your school for...by Mooshka Feb 18, '09I received this letter from CA BoN:
Based on the additional documents sent by your school for completion of obstetric and psychiatric nursing, you are still deficient and do not meet California requirements in obstetric and psychiatric nursing.
In order to meet this requirements, it will be necessary for you to make up this course(s), both theory and clinical practice, in an accredited school of professional nursing in CALIFORNIA. (A list of accredited schools in California was enclosed previously).
Is it possible to enroll is a nursing program in California just to make up these courses? Is it going to be a student visa for it?
I'm in Ukraine now.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=371321©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 3,041 Views
- Feb 18, '09 by suzanne4You would be able to get a student visa to complete these courses, but you would not be able to remain in the US and be able to work as an RN. Going thru CA is also not recommended since they do not issue a license without a SSN# and your file will be destroyed in three years without it.
You can also complete the hours in your country to meet the requirements for the US; they just have to be done in an approved school of nursing.
And I would look at other states and stay away from CA, or you will just be throwing out money.
- Feb 18, '09 by MooshkaMany thanks for your answer. See, for some reasons. they capitalized CALIFORNIA. I can't believe they do not allow taking them in my home country.
Did anybody make up obstetric and psychiatric nursing courses in their home county and CABoN was satisfied with them?
- Feb 18, '09 by suzanne4Have seen it done over and over again.
But the bigger issue is that the CA letter that you passed the NCLEX will expire in three years and they do not issue a license to you.
Please look at other states, you can always apply for endorsement later on to CA. But you are looking at probably five years plus for a chance at a green card. And perhaps longer, it will depend on the economy. But definitely not earlier than that.
- Feb 19, '09 by MooshkaThanks, suzanne4.
Which boards can you recommend then? I've heard many positive feedback about New York.
- Feb 19, '09 by suzanne4We have not seen any hospitals in NY willing to petition a foreign nurse unless they have actually trained there.
You will also be waiting about 8 months to get approval to sit the NCLEX exam for them. They require the CVS that is done thru CGFNS and that takes 6 to 8 months to get done in most cases.
The issue with making up the courses is that CA does not want to see on-line programs being used. Traditional programs have never been an issue, they are what most people attend in the first place for their nursing programs.
- Mar 25, '09 by lovelyRitaI feel sorry for you. I have the same situation too. I got the letter fron CA BoN a year ago, which said i didi not meet the minium requirement on psychiatric nursing.I tried most of the schools on the list around the area i live, only one public school said "yes", but you need get enrolled into the nursing program which you have to wait on the line for two years. By the time you get in the nursing program, the three years is almost gone. Two private schools said "ok we can give you the course", No matter how much it costs,(probably $700-1400 per unit,$4000-7000 per course),but they normaly do not have opening for you. I waited 3 months, got an answer" we do not have an opening now, you have to wait until autumn " I am looking forward to another state, but i do not know if all the BoN in this country have the same requirement, or every state is different. If there is anybody gets some information about this, please help. Thanks!
- Mar 17, '11 by rgm07Hi! I'm a graduate nurse from the Philippines, I just graduated last April 2010 and did not took the licensure exam in Phils.. I'm a permanent resident here in the U.S and I applied for NCLEX in California last January 2011, on February 2011 I received a letter from the CA-BON that they want me to write an explanation letter why I don't have a Nursing license and so I wrote them a letter saying that I look to pursue my nursing career in California. And just now March 16, 2011 I received a letter from the CA-BON saying that :
AN EVALUATION OF MY APPLICATION FOR LICENSURE AS A REGISTERED NURSE IN CALIFORNIA INDICATES THAT MU NURSING EDUCATION DOES NOT MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS IN PSYCHIATRIC NURSING. THEORY AND PRACTICAL MUST BE TAKEN CONCURRENTLY. IN ORDER TO MEET THIS REQUIREMENT, IT WILL BE NECESSARY FOR ME TO MAKE UP THIS COURSE, BOTH THEORY AND CLINICAL PRACTICE, IN AN ACCREDITED SCHOOL OF PROFESSIONAL NURSING IN CALIFORNIA.
I don't really understand why this has happened, i have schoolmates who also applied for CA-BON but they did not have any problems. They took the NCLEX with no hassles at all. Please help me.
- Mar 17, '11 by NurseCubanitaRN2bThere's nothing anybody can say or do to help you. It's spelled out clearly on the letter from the BRN. You must do exactly what the BRN states in order to be licensed in CA. You may want to contact them and ask them if you can take a refresher course with clinicals concurrent with theory. They may say no but it's worth a shot. Good Luck