Aged Care jargon/acronymsRegister Today!
- by oscar99 Apr 6, '11Can anyone tell me if they know of a book or website that has acronyms used in aged and community care?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=548907©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 749 Views
- Apr 6, '11 by carolmaccas66Oscar what country are you from?
- Apr 6, '11 by oscar99oops Australia.
- Apr 6, '11 by ceridwynWhat exactly do you need acronyms for.....older people tend to have the same physical attributes as does younger people and have the same need for surgeries.
THR is THR in old people. TKR is TKR in old people. They do not change into anything else.
They only thing the differ is in funding and those acronyms you will not find in books. Check out the DHS websties on healthy ageing in each state. Aged care is federal funded so go to that site.
I work sometimes in community care and do not use any different acronyms than what I did in the hospital. except for funding.
- Apr 6, '11 by oscar99It is with the different funding, programs and services out there, eg CACPs, PAC I thought there may have been a handbook or something that had it all together that I could use as a reference tool.
It sounds like there isn't - but would be a great idea for when you start in this area.
- Apr 6, '11 by ceridwynThe government website for ageing talks about the care packages and funding sources, some are federal some are state, really have to work in it for awhile to sink in.
- Apr 6, '11 by carolmaccas66Yeh I was a bit confused as to what you wanted as well, that's why I asked what country you were from.
Try this website: http://www.health.gov.au/ has lots of info etc. You could also talk to the social workers where you work or contact them at a hospital, they probably have brochures they can hand out, or the geriatrics unit/aged care units in or attached to hospitals also have info. Also contact long term care units, or high/low care units for info.
Other than that do a Google search and put 'Australia aged care' or something in the title.
Hope u get wot ur looking for!