Why does everyone think that they can be a nurse/ or nursing is so easy?Register Today!
- by lifein08 Jun 30, '11how are you?Last edit by lifein08 on Apr 5, '12
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=585331©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,019 Views
- Jul 3, '11 by senseiRNmainly because it's not that hard to get into nursing school....
- Jul 3, '11 by afoxIt's pretty hard (or at least not easy) to get into the nursing schools in central IL that I know of. And they aren't easy to stay in once you are accepted either. We lost 8/32 people in my mental health class last semester alone.
I think a misconception would be for the ADN that since its at a community college that it must be easy. Or that its "only" a 2 year degree. But in reality with pre-reqs even an ADN is 3-4 years when all is said and done.
I dont think a lot of people realize the scope of nursing practice, and they may just think "oh, it doesnt take much to follow a doctors orders, and wipe a few bottoms." They dont realize we need to know what the how and why we are doing what the doctor orders, b/c if its wrong, its our butt on the line.
- Jul 4, '11 by senseiRNWell, "easy" and "hard" are relative. Getting into a nursing program is not that hard (way less pre-reqs and basically no 'weed out' courses) compared to med/PT/OT schools. There are a LOT of nursing schools in IL. People who failed to get into med/other grad schools choose accelerated BSN/MSN programs as their plan B as well as people who are looking to change careers/got laid off. I'm not saying it's the correct perception BUT the public people perceive nursing as "if all else fails, there's nursing"
As for ADNs, I have two friends who have skipped ADNs in favor of BSNs because getting into an ADN program is harder than getting into a BSN program. ADN programs have ridiculously long waitlists, a CC near me requires a CNA certification/experience, etc.
In other news, I really should be studying for my NCLEX
- Jul 4, '11 by TheSquireI agree - for someone for whom ANY college education would be a challenge, nursing school can be rather hard. However, for anyone who's been through college once already, nursing school is just work - hence the perception that it's "easy" amongst other professionals.