Thinking about changing major from pharmacy to nursing
- 0Mar 16, '04 by nyshmasterI am a sophmore second year pre-pharmacy student at Drake University, basically Drake has made the school really challenging because they have let in too many students into the program than they can handle, so basically it doesnt look like I will be getting into the professional program, I need a 2.65 gpa in my math and sciences and I will have about a 2.55 gpa, I dont really want to repeat a full year and pay an extra $25k for tuition and then have another 4 years of school. So my question is, how hard would it be for me to say transfer from Drake to say UIC or Depaul or any other nursing school in the Chicagoland area? Also what other schools would you recomend looking into. I will have about 60 credits after this semester, 16 in organic and inorganic chem, 8 in bio, 3 in microbio, 4calc, 3 in stats, and the rest in electives and other general classes, so how long would I have to go to nursing school to complete it?
Thanks a lot.
- 0Mar 16, '04 by GompersYou'd probably be able to finish nursing school in 2-3 years with those credits, depending on where you go. I don't think DePaul has a nursing school anymore, but I could be wrong. Loyola, UIC, and Rush have programs in the city for BSN, and most of the Illinois state schools have programs as well. Loyola and Rush are expensive, and UIC is very hard to get into; it has a very long waiting list because it's an excellent program at a bargain price. You might do best looking into state schools like Northern Illinois. The hard thing about transferring into nursing school when you're already at college is that some schools only allow so many transfer students (even to the nursing program within their same college) so it's very competitive. It's great that you have a lot of the pre-reqs out of the way though! That's a plus for you.
- 0Mar 16, '04 by suzanne4I actually completed 3 1/2 of pharmacy school and then didn't like the curriculum back then. I switched to physiology, got my degree, then went to nursing school. Actually was thinking of CRNA school back then, but fell in love with the ER while I was a tech. I actually only lost 8 credit by transferring and the things that I learned paid off tremendously for me over the years.
Good luck to you..........................p.s. I have never been sorry one day for the things that I have learned and done.
- 0Mar 16, '04 by nyshmasterI wont have any trouble transfereing credits Drake's curriculum is really tough, hence why I want to transfer. I think being a RN would be great, first I just have to explain this to my parents, my mom is a physical therapist ast., she'll definitely understand. I wish I were as smart as my brother who already got his ParmD and now going to Chicago Medical School in August.
- 0Mar 17, '04 by kilbylakeQuote from nyshmasterDrake's program must be tough. A good friend of mine has a son in his first yr there for the pharmacy major and he is switching to nursing also. In fact, I thought maybe this message was from him at first. He is also looking at UIC in Chicago. I wonder what the percentage is of students who actually make it through Drake's Pharm. program. Good Luck!I wont have any trouble transfereing credits Drake's curriculum is really tough, hence why I want to transfer. I think being a RN would be great, first I just have to explain this to my parents, my mom is a physical therapist ast., she'll definitely understand. I wish I were as smart as my brother who already got his ParmD and now going to Chicago Medical School in August.