Applying for Harper RN Spring 2011?
- 0Aug 11, '10 by afrancois71Anyone else applying for Harper Spring 2011? Just took my NLN yesterday and planning to apply as soon as I get results. We had to evacuate the building in the middle of the math section because of a false fire alarm and it really threw me off but I'm hoping I did O.K. in spite of that.
Still have to take Phys. this fall and hoping for provisional acceptance. Wondering if they'll have another shortage of qualified applicants because they raised the math requirement for 2011. Seems like they raise the requirements yearly.
- 6,547 Visits
- 0Aug 13, '10 by xcited2bAnurseI will be applying to Harper for the spring of 2011! It unfortunate for me because I will be transferring from Chamberlain College of Nursing BSN program because of certain reasons and I just found out that none of my nursing classes will transfer! So I have to start the program from Scratch, definitely not happy with that but i guess its for the better. I will however be taking the NLN Test Sept 8th though. What was your test like? Was it hard?
- 0Aug 14, '10 by afrancois71Glad to find another applicant to wait with!! Anyone else out there?
So sorry to hear about having to leave Chamberlain. I looked into their program briefly and their convoluted language on the accreditation page made me very nervous. Seems to be lots of confusion about what their status is. Glad you found out before you finished though.
The NLN certainly took some studying. I'm typically pretty strong in math & verbal so I didn't do much there other than take some practice tests. I had just finished Anatomy & Chem this summer and the fact that both were fresh helped tons on the science portion. I used the NLN study guide to fill in the blanks for physics and as a refresher for general bio, which I took 20 yrs ago. The NLN's review guide (Review Guide for RN Pre-entrance Exam, 3rd Edition) also has review tests that you can take before you start to understand where your weaknesses are before you start studying, which I think is very useful.
It's good to time yourself on practice tests so you learn proper pacing. As I mentioned above, we got interrupted during the math portion and it really threw off my rhythm. I ran out of time and had to do the last 5 problems via process of elimination/educated guess. I finished with time to review in the other two sections. I guess I'll see how I did when I get my results back in the next week or so. I hope I won't be disappointed.
Have you gone to an information session at Harper yet? I went to one in July and reaffirmed what I had heard -- you need A's & B's in the science classes and high NLNs to get in. High varies from year to year, based on the applicant pool. Wish I knew about where I needed to land with my score to be safe. Have you heard anything?
- 0Aug 17, '10 by xcited2bAnurseWow I hope you did well on your NLN! I will be attending a info session in september but as of now I haven't heard anything else about harper besides that they have a good nursing program. Applying to harper was a last minute decision , so I've been running around like crazy trying to make sure all of my transcripts get there and get my name on the Health care Worker registry before the sept. 15 deadline! So right now i am just waiting for everything to fall through. Really hoping that we both get accepted! I hope you are prepared because nursing school is lots of work!!!!!! LOL
ps just curious, where did you get your NLN study guide?
- 0Aug 24, '10 by afrancois71Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was on vacation. Just started school again today... Physiology & Microbiology. Also handed in my application for Spring 2011! Now I wait.
I did well on the NLNs with a composite score in the 99th percentile. I got my study guide at the Harper bookstore but I've seen it at Barnes & Noble. I recommend taking lots of practice tests and timing yourself, especially in the math section. Even though the math isn't advanced, you could find yourself taking too much time on problems and not finishing.
I hope you manage everything for the Spring Application. I felt like it would take forever to get everything together, and it went by so quickly!
- 0Oct 11, '10 by JQ_RNHey, I am trying to apply to Harper, I see they have extended their deadlines, I was wondering if anyone of you got into Harper. I just visited their website and saw how they calculate their applicants. Do you know what the cutoff is? I know the highest is 90 points and the lowest is 20, I just want to know if anyone has any information on this, Thanks.
- 0Oct 12, '10 by afrancois71I've been accepted for Spring 2011, pending successful completion of phys. I don't know what the cutoff is but I had 60 pts from my NLN scores and Bio 160. Taking 161 and 130 right now. They stress at the meeting that you really need NLN scores in the high 80s or 90s and A's or B's in the science classes to get in.
- 0Nov 9, '10 by emiliisawesomeThank You afrancois71! I did register for classes ,but I am in Wed class for 110 and 111 (because I am taking Micro Tue and Thur)and for 180 I am in the afternoon class as well.I did miss the first orientation. I would really appreciated if you send me that info that you got there.Thank You!