How many hyperbaric chambers in the US?Register Today!
This is a discussion on How many hyperbaric chambers in the US? in Hyperbaric Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... As I am also a SCUBA instructor, this field really intriques me. Does anyone know how many chambers...by Balder_LPN Dec 20, '05As I am also a SCUBA instructor, this field really intriques me. Does anyone know how many chambers or jobs there are in the US. I know that they are used for other things also, but arent there more in areas that are SCUBA destinations?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=134439©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 6,683 Views
- Dec 20, '05 by traumaRUsI work in central IL (read - no water) and we have the only hyperbaric chamber in central IL.
- Dec 20, '05 by pattymacHere in Houston, I believe we (Memorial Hermann) in the Medical Center are the only ones that have it here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
- Dec 20, '05 by suzanne4You are going to find one in most of your larger or more populous states, plus more in the areas that handle injuries from the oil rigs in the Gulf area, etc. Calfiornia has several, if I remember correctly.
The hyperbaric chambers have other uses as well besides for the bends. They aid in healing for severe skin injuires, etc.
- Dec 20, '05 by KatieBellThere is one at Duke in Durhma NC actually has several different chambers- including a HUGE one- which can accomodate multiple patients.
I used to dive with patients when I was in ICU, for me, it wasn;t the greatest fun, but it was definitely interesting, and of course a bit stressful, just you and the patient, and if they crump....
Hyperbarics used more often for skin healing (diabetic ulcers and Necrotizing fasciatis..(spelling) and certain forms of Toxcities....(we dove a bunch of workers one day who had inhaled some sort of chemical for cleaning at work...
Durham of course if totally not a SCUBA location...
- Jan 2, '06 by vivalasvegasRecommend you check out UHMS.org they have a directory of all the registered chambers US and abroad.
- Jan 10, '06 by Balder_LPNQuote from vivalasvegasRecommend you check out UHMS.org they have a directory of all the registered chambers US and abroad.
Thanks... I distibuted that list to some free ranging dive adventurers I know. Theres alot.... that was like 135 pages of chambers around the world!!
- Jan 17, '06 by vivalasvegasBalder
Obviously the DAN offices in Durham, NC are the first place for dive related incident reporting and questions. there is also a scubadoc site that has all the DAN chambers and physicians. I believe you can access his site via UHMS. I haven't been to the site in a while but when I was working at a DAN chamber I used it all the time.
Best of luck to you and keep drilling your students and fellow divers on thier tables and safe bottom times!